« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of April 26, 2018 @ 7:00PM

Roll Call:

            The meeting was called to order at 7:03 P.M.

Present:           Gallagher, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi,  Engineer Yeager, Counsel Quint and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None

  1. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff

Director Swanbeck went to a meeting on April 20 attended by Assemblymen Kevin Mullin and Phil Ting.  One of the topics of discussion was the idea of forming some sort of redevelopment type agency.  Subsequent to the meeting Director Swanbeck corresponded with Assemblyman Ting’s office regarding questions about the need for housing.
 (3)      Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
            President Gallagher acknowledged receipt of a flyer from SDLF regarding the various certification programs they offer.

Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the  Meeting of March 22, 2018
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept March 31, 2018 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept March, 2018 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed by voice vote approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)       President Gallagher
            (a)       LAFCo:  There was a meeting on Wednesday but no one from the District attended.  The Maintenance Director mentioned that an executive secretary position is being replaced with an analyst position at approximately five times the compensation. 

            (b)       CSDA – Local Chapter:  The next meeting will be in May 1 at the Mosquito and Vector Abatement facility in Burlingame.  There will be a presentation on grant financing for special districts and another on California legislation. 
            (c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:   President Gallagher attended the last meeting of the Oversight Board; approved final obligations.  Going forward the meetings will be held by the County-wide Oversight Board.
           
(9)       Daly City:  President Gallagher was invited to join a Daly City task force regarding short and long term room rentals.  Last evening there was a meeting about short term rentals.  There are 344 active sites in Daly City.  Among those rentals is one of the new homes on Accacia Street.  There are currently no restrictions.  The May 9 meeting will be about long term rentals and how single family homes are being converted to single room rentals for multiple people.
            Director Rizzi advised the Board that City Manager Martel is attending the seniors meeting in May.

(10)     Brisbane:   Tagging on to the discussion of the Daly City short/long term rental, Brisbane does not allow Airbnb rentals. 

Staff Reports:

(11)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance: The Carlyle Station is operating well.  Telstar Instruments has conducted the annual calibration of the flow meter.  The Robertson School site manhole was inspected.  They were instructed on how to properly plug the line where it enters the manhole; not yet completed.  The manhole at the former site of the Geneva Drive In was inspected and was properly plugged.  As  noted on the monthly report, there were several USA markings.

(12)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:  
            (a)       March meter reading data:  There was 5.7” of rainfall in March.  The average daily flow was 373,000 gallons.  The output from Pump #1  increased after removal of the toweling.
            (b)       End of Year Procedures Manual:  No report.
            (c)        SFPUC response – evaluation of alternatives:  A letter was sent a number of months ago with regard to halting the testing.  The SFPUC has promised a response by the end of this week.  It seems that the letter is being routed to different staff that have no knowledge of the testing arrangement.
            (d)       Point Martin 1 &2:  They have submitted plans which were reviewed, comments made and  resubmitted plans were received.  We are up to date with regard to our comments.
            (e)       Robertson School:  They too, have submitted plans which were reviewed and comments issued.  After resubmission there were some minor comments but no further review is necessary. 
The Engineer expects that both of these projects will move forward pretty quickly.
            (f)        Capacity Entitlements:  Recology has not paid for their increased entitlement. Engineer Yeager will send a certified letter including an updated billing and put them on notice that if they do not pay the charges they will be placed on the 2018-19 tax rolls.  The Alpine Motel also has not paid for their increased capacity; will be placed on the tax rolls. 
            (g)       Leaking manholes:  This was discussed under the Maintenance Director’s report.
            (h)       361 Rio Verde Street:  There was some confusion about whether or not they have submitted their permit application and fee.  (Subsequent to the meeting it was confirmed that they have been issued a permit and paid the fees.)
            With regard to permits being issued by Daly City without directing  owners/developers to the District when their projects are located within our service area, Mr. Yeager reported that the City has changed its software program and failed to enter the District on its reviewing agency list; has been corrected.        
            (i)        216 Accacia Street:  This is a conversion of an existing 2 bedroom home to a 7 bedroom home.  The applicant’s engineer has been advised of the District, Daly City and SFPUC requirements with regard to fees and permits.
            (j)        Daly City Plan review:  A handout had been developed and provided to Daly City to give to applicants applying for permits when their projects are in the District.  This document has undergone some corrections; will undergo some minor edits and be provided to Daly City.
            (k)        Midway Village redevelopment:  While preparing the Master Plan, the Engineer googled “Midway Village.”  He learned that on January 24, 2018 the County selected the developer for the Midway Village redevelopment project.  The developer is Mid-Peninsula Housing.  A study was conducted and there was no mention of the District with regard to providing sewer service.  The Engineer contacted Matthew Franklin, the Executive Director, and also sent a letter addressing the District’s concerns.  Mr. Franklin advised that an engineer for the project had not yet been selected and that development is in the preliminary stages.  They were holding a meeting with the Midway Village residents on April 23.  The Engineer and Maintenance Director will meet with Mr. Franklin in mid-May.  To date there are not a lot of specifics.  The RFP included a schedule indicating completion within the next 4 years.  A press release stated that 450 units of affordable housing will be replaced and additional units added.  There will also be a community center and land for a dedicated park.  The first site to be developed is the park.  They were advised that the District has a sewer line running through the park.  Mid-Peninsula Housing has been advised of issues with regard to sewer service.  He again said that they had no knowledge that the District existed.
            (l)        Updated CIP/Master Plan:  A draft plan was distributed.  Section 6 is the CIP development document which the Engineer would like to discuss during  2018-19 budget planning.  Section 1 is the introduction and will be completed last.  Section 2 is a description of the District along with various documents and summaries of documents to help understand the District history.  Section 3 outlines the capital projects since 1985.  Section 4 focuses on I/I which is a major problem the District faces.  The section includes a recent analysis of rain events and inflow—a significant problem since we pay to have this flow treated and it also stresses the pump station.  Section 5 covers evaluation of the facilities.   Section 6 will be completed in parallel with the 2018-19 budget discussions.  There are no critical items to be addressed immediately. 
Flow monitoring was done in 2003-04 which did not provide any significant information since that was a dry year.  It also didn’t analyze the 4 basins considering the pipe size.  The basin which includes the older section of the District excluding the new homes on the hillside had the greatest amount of I/I.  The basin with the least amount was between Geneva Avenue and the San Francisco border.  Flow monitoring would cost about $100,000 and may not provide much information.  There has been no comprehensive smoke testing for about 20 years.  That is where you pump smoke into the line and see where it comes out.  Where smoke is being emitted, i.e. the main, laterals, side sewer, etc. is where surface water can enter.  Smoke testing of 7,000 feet would cost about $10,000; a good value for the cost.  Mr. Yeager also suggested the District budget for additional video inspection of main line and laterals.  Table 6.2 suggests smoke testing then video inspection of the entire collection system and 25% of the laterals.  Once smoke testing is complete the Engineer and Maintenance Director will evaluate the results and video inspection would depend on those results.  The Engineer asked that the Board and Staff review the draft report for discussion over the next two months.
            With regard to the force main, there are some new techniques for non-invasive inspection; however, they do not work for AC pipe.  AC pipe can have corrosion at the top of the line.  There are some cameras on tractors that may be able to traverse the 45° angle.
            No immediate repairs are required for the collection system.  We should continue to budget $10,000-$15,000 for lateral repairs.  Some repairs are related to future development in the District.  A possible parallel force main line depends on development of the Baylands.

(13)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            No report

(14)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
            No report.

Old Business:     

(15)     Succession Planning
            (a)       Board vacancy:  There was discussion of possible candidates.  Appointment to fill the unexpired term must be made by May 30.  President Gallagher volunteered to post an announcement on Nextdoor.  Notification will be placed on the website and posted at Lawson Hall.  It was suggested that Supervisor Canepa be contacted since he may be aware of a possible candidate(s).   It was agreed that the Board will seek and talk to potential candidates.  They will be invited to attend the May meeting. 
            (b)       Collection system services:  When President Gallagher attended the Redevelopment Oversight Board meeting, City Manager Martell gave her a proposal for services.  It includes pump station service as an option.  There was discussion of the proposal, questions and clarification needed and the possibility of issuing an RFP.  The President will contact Manager Martell to set up a meeting with the DCWWR person who developed the draft proposal.

New Business:

(16)     Resolution No. 2018-01, a Resolution Recognizing the Services of Walter Quinteros as a
            Former Director and Officer of Bayshore Sanitary District
            A motion was made by Director Rizzi and seconded by Director Tonna to adopt Resolution No. 2018-01 recognizing former Director Quinteros’ 25 years of service to the District.  The motion was passed by the following roll call vote:

            Ayes:               Gallagher, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
            Noes:               None  

(17)     Director benefit policy
            President Gallagher had a thought that in recognition of former Director Quinteros’ 25 years of service perhaps his benefits could be continued.  After discussion, Counsel Quint said she will investigate to determine if this is legal since the District has no policy in place. 
            The Clerk advised the Board that we have received notice that the dental premium will be increased 4% effective June 1.

(18)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
            None
           
Adjournment:

            The meeting was adjourned at 9:24 P.M.  The next Regular Meeting is May 24, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.         

« back to Public Meetings