« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of December 21, 2017 @6:00PM

Roll Call:

            The meeting was called to order at 6:10 P.M.

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi,   Engineer Yeager, Counsel Quint and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None

  1. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff

None
(3)       Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
None
           
Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the  Meeting of November 16, 2017
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept November 30, 2017 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept November, 2017 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director  Swanbeck and passed by voice vote approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)       President Gallagher
            (a)       LAFCo:  There was no meeting this month.
            (b)       CSDA – Local Chapter:  The  next meeting will likely be held in February.  President Gallagher is the Treasurer of the Chapter and plans to issue dues billings next year.
            (c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:  The next meeting is January 8, 2018 and could be the last one.

(9)       Daly City:  No report.

(10)     Brisbane:  No report.

Staff Reports:

(11)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:  While doing the normal Friday morning pump calculations it was found that Pump #1 was not pumping at normal volume.  This was caused by a mop head being caught in the pump; the third such incident this year.  Fortunately the mop and the debris it collected were removed without having to take the impeller apart.  There was discussion on the possible source(s) of these mop heads.  Due to the size there are limited areas in the District where the pipe diameter is large enough for the mop to traverse the line without causing a stoppage.
            Noted on the monthly report was a final inspection of a new lateral installed at 1032 Schwerin Street, a plan check for a remodel which does not need a District permit and video inspections of recent service requests.  The service request at 186 Rio Verde Street was a lateral full of roots and the roots had grown into the main causing a partial stoppage.  The manhole did not overflow because the property cleanout is lower than the street.  Two other service requests were due to lateral stoppages.

(12)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:  
            (a)       November meter reading data:  There were two rain incidents in November which resulted in flow of 500,000 gallons each time.  For the rest of the month the average daily flow was 273,600 gallons.
(b)       Update CIP/Master Plan:  Some additional work was done on the Master Plan during November.  None of the previous Master Plans looked at the force main and the Carlyle Pump Station.  The force main is AC (asbestos cement) pipe.  This type of pipe is not reinforced, is brittle and is constructed of concrete and asbestos fibers.  The force main is 14” in diameter and is operating at 10 psi, significantly less than the tested psi.
The pumps have 30 hp motors and run about 3% of the available hours.  The design of the force main and the pump station was done on a very conservative basis.  Rigorous maintenance practices have given the system longevity.  The Engineer and Maintenance Director met with Wayne Archer, Pump Repair Service.  Mr. Archer will provide the District with his recommendations with regard to the pumps, as part of the master plan for the future.
            (c)        End of Year Procedures Manual:  All that remains to be done is to complete the section on the SFPUC annual sewer service charge invoice.
            (d)       SFPUC water quality testing:  A number of months ago a letter was sent asking that the testing be suspended and instead use average values.  Engineer Yeager said that looking at the last four months of test results show that they are lower than the average.  He now feels that we should continue testing for another year when we will then have six years of results.  He will follow up with the SFPUC after receipt of the next set of data and express our desire that they continue testing through 2018.
            (e)       Point Martin 1 and Point Martin 2:  Our comments were submitted to Daly City.  There has been no further communication from the developer.
            (f)        139/137 Rio Verde Street:  After some back and forth, both properties will have ¾” meters.  The developer has paid the District connection fee and the SFPUC capacity fee.  They will be sent a letter advising that they must submit plan check fees.  This is the same developer that is developing 209 MacDonald Avenue.
            (g)       209 MacDonald Avenue:  There was a hold on the building permit; however, it was not initiated by the District.  We did advise Daly City that the lateral for 205 crossed under the building footprint at 209.  Each property has its own lateral which meets our standards.  The new residence at 209 will have eleven bedrooms.  This project can be considered complete once they are billed and submit payment for additional staff time.
            (h)       Tunnel Avenue – Brisbane:   There has been no further communication from Brisbane.
            (i)        2665 Geneva Avenue:  Revised plans have been received for the addition of 7 apartments on the ground level of the building.  The connection fees for the 7 units have been billed.  They will be tying into the existing plumbing in the  building.
            (j)        SFPUC annual sewer service charge:   The District has submitted the first two installments to the SFPUC.  The Engineer will send a follow-up letter once we get the next water quality testing results.
            (k)        Robertson School:  Revised plans were submitted to Daly City who in turn forwarded them to the District.  So we're all looking at the same set of plans.  Engineer Yeager had previously issued his comments and most of the items questioned were addressed.  Following are a few items that need to be addressed: (1) lateral detail especially for those properties with a backflow preventer—it needs to be closer to the building; (2) final decision on a ¾” vs. 1” water meter—a 1” meter increases the SFPUC capacity charge about $3,000; and (3) part of the water system will be private and Daly City has accepted that.  The District will require a condition that whoever maintains the system must report the meter readings in May of each year.
            The developer contacted the Engineer asking for written approval.  Mr. Yeager recommends that we not approve the plans until they are complete and all coordination between Daly City and the District is accomplished.

(13)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       Section 508 re web accessibility:  There are new laws re websites being accessible to individuals with disabilities.  The law is hard to decipher so  Counsel is going to do a bit more research and will report back in January.  The Clerk listened to a webinar conducted by a CSDA affiliate with regard to website accessibility.  They provided a site to run a test on the website homepage.  The Clerk ran the test but both she and Counsel find the results confusing.  The Clerk will reach out to Streamline.

(14)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
             No report.

Old Business:     
                  None

New Business:
           
(15)     Set 2018 meeting schedule
            There was agreement among the Board and Staff that the 2018 schedule be as follows:

            January 25                   May 24                        September 27
            February 22                 June 28                        October 25
            March 22                     July 26                         November 29
            April 26                       August 23                    December 20
           
(16)     Election of officers for 2018
            It was the consensus of the Board to keep the same slate of officers for 2018. 

(17)     January, 2018 CASA Conference
            No member of the Board will attend.

(18)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
            None
           
Adjournment:

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and approved by voice vote to adjourn the meeting at 7:03 P.M.  The next Regular Meeting is January 25, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.

« back to Public Meetings