« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of Feb 23, 2017 @ 7:00PM

Roll Call:

            The meeting was called to order at 7:02 P.M.

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Counsel Quint, Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None
(2)       Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
            None
(3)       Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
            None

Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the Regular Meeting of January 26, 2017
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept January 31, 2017 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept January, 2017 checking account reconciliation

            Check number 1120 listed on the accounts payable has been cancelled.  A motion was made by Director Quinteros seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)       President Gallagher

  1. LAFCo:  The next meeting will be in March.
  2. CSDA – Local Chapter:   There was a meeting on February 7.  Newly elected Supervisor Canepa  made a brief presentation to the attendees.  Also present was Jim Irizarry, representing the Elections arm of the County Clerk’s office.  He provided information on SB 415, odd to even numbered year elections legislation.  Also in attendance was a regional representative of CSDA.

(c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:   There will be a meeting on March 1 at which time President Gallagher expects that the Board will get an update on the sale of properties.  It is still puzzling that the property wasn’t marketed more aggressively, i.e. a for sale sign posted.

(9)       Daly City:   It was reported that there is lingering concern that newly elected council people were chosen to fill the mayor and vice mayor positions passing over experienced councilpersons.  Both the City Manager and City Clerk provided information about the practice of rotating the mayor ship which did not dissuade the final selections.  A number of committee and commission members have been replaced.

(10)     Brisbane:  The Clerk told the Board that we received information today about a Baylands workshop and meeting scheduled for February 28.

Staff Reports:

(11)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:   The January pump hours were dramatically higher due to significant rain events.  The Carlyle Station is operating well.
            Responded to a service request at 302 Accacia Street.  The cleanout was overflowing.  The lateral was televised and an offset joint was found along with a piece of missing pipe above the flow line.  This property should be added to a list for future capital projects.  If there are more problems it may have to be dealt with sooner rather than later.  There is a second property on Accacia Street (312) that should also be placed on the future CIP list.
            With regard to the Bayshore Elementary School site, the contractor has a 20,000 gallon tank being used to pump and store surface water.  Two inspections were made during discharges.  In response to a question from Director Rizzi, the Engineer said the developer has a storm water drainage plan.

(12)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       January meter reading data:  17.75 million gallons were pumped in January—one of the five top readings since the new meter was installed.  January flow was about double dry weather flow.  The output from Pump #1 is declining a little and will be monitored.
 (b)      Carlyle Pump Station upgrades:  The spare impeller is in transit.  No detailed submittal for the generator has been received.
            (c)        SFPUC water quality sampling:  The sampling continues.  The Engineer will have complete January data shortly.
            (d)       Update CIP/Master Plan:  Engineer Yeager has been working on the CIP/Master Plan.  He will make a presentation on I/I at the end of his report.  The Master Plan update will include historical information together with a comprehensive list of projects that have been completed and problems that have been faced.  This will be information vital for any successor engineer.
            (e)       Robertson School development:  The project has been purchased by Toll Bros.  The earlier plans were for townhomes in clusters.  What they seem to be planning now is a loop system with lots.  They have been advised that they need to take out a Class 3 permit and submit a plan check/inspection deposit.
            (f)        Class 3 Permit:  In preparing the Toll Bros. permit it became apparent that the permit we use doesn’t really address how we do projects.  A new draft requires more permit attachments and some minor changes in the language.  This amended permit application more accurately tracks the process.
            (g)       Point Martin:  In a conversation with David Beaumont he indicated that he has had several meetings with Daly City and there remain issues with traffic and other matters.
            (h)       SFPUC capacity charge – Bayshore Elementary School:  Landmark Construction ignored the explicit instructions and sent the check directly to the SFPUC.  We have learned that the check was received and properly credited.
            (i)        PG&E Agreement:  We sent a proposed agreement re access to District facilities for the CCTV work.  A response was received this afternoon and the agreement has been picked apart.  The starting point for our draft was based on PG&E’s generic agreement and even some of that language has been nitpicked.  The Engineer will work with District Counsel and PG&E will be advised that all this back and forth is eating away at their deposit.  Mr. Yeager doesn’t think PG&E’s counsel understands the District’s Ordinances.  They are still being held responsible to pay for staff time associated with their project at 236 Rio Verde Street.  Payment must be received before a permit will be issued.
            (j)        End of Year Procedures:  These are fiscal procedures which the Engineer began tracking about 2 years ago.  Revisions have been made re the SFPUC billing and changes at EDS.  At the end of this fiscal year he will publish a combined document.
            (k)        Underground Service Alerts:  The Clerk asked the Engineer to check the boundary map used by USA since some alerts are out of our service area.  Their map is pretty accurate.  They will not make changes and the directions given to us to make changes are almost indecipherable.
            (l)        Daly City meeting request: At the direction of the Board, a letter was sent to Richard Chiu, City Engineer/Asst. Public Works Director.  The Engineer and Maintenance Director met with Mr. Chiu today.  The Engineer went over the District’s history and facilities and spoke about the working relationships we have had.  He said that those relations have improved over the last 5-10 years.  Mr. Yeager explained that the City and District have had a mutual gentlemen’s agreement re waiving fees for permits and inspections.  As far as we can tell there is nothing in writing.  Richard Chiu would like copies of the District’s maps; will be provided by the Engineer.  He would also like to see and review any draft agreement.  President Gallagher said she has some language provided by John Bakker.  She will provide it to the Engineer and District Counsel.  We don’t want a formal legalese type document; something simpler like a letter of understanding.
            (m)      New industrial discharge permits:  There are two new industrial discharge permits being process.  One is for the Bayshore Elementary School (mentioned above) and PG&E.  The school site permit is for surface water which accumulated during the rain.  They have paid the required deposit.  PG&E is going to be constructing a major gas line in San Francisco and anticipate running into large quantities of ground water.  They hope to be able to discharge directly into a San Francisco line but would like to have a contingency plan to discharge into the District’s system at the Martin Service Center or the Carter Street line.  They were advised that they need to check with San Francisco to make sure it wouldn’t be a problem to their system.  If they come to an agreement with San Francisco they won’t need a permit from the District.
            At this time the Engineer reviewed Section 4 of the Master Plan on the overhead screen.  Searching through old documentation he has found a 1985 CIP which included data from a 1973 I/I analysis.  What is interesting is that even then there was high I/I and that was before much of the development.  In 2003-04 Kennedy Jenks did a flow monitoring study.  Unfortunately it happened to be a dry period.  Using records from 1993-2017, the Engineer picked out peak flow days.  What this shows is with various rainfall events there are spikes in flow.  There has always been high I/I.  The Engineer recommends that we budget for some smoke testing in FY 2017-18. Smoke testing was done in 1985 and 2002.
            During a recent rain storm, the Engineer and Maintenance Director inspected manholes.  The heaviest flow was down the Main Street sewer line and the Linda Vista line.  The Engineer will continue to develop charts through the end of this rainy period.

(13)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            No report.

(14)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
            (c)        Grand Jury recommendation  implementation timeline:  Our deadline to finalize disposition of R6, R8 and R9 is March 23 which happens to be the next regular meeting.  With regard to R6, the Engineer will facilitate the Board in conducting a self-evaluation-performance review.  R8 and R9 both deal with annual notices to ratepayers.  Much of the recommended content of those letters is information on the District’s website.  The Clerk advised the Board that the District’s request to change from odd to even numbered year elections will be considered at the March 28, 2017 Board of Supervisor’s meeting.

Old Business:     
                  None

New Business:
           
(15)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
            None

Adjournment:

            A motion was made by  Director Rizzi, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:37 P.M.  There will be a Special Meeting on March 9, 2017 @7:00 P.M. and the next Regular Meeting is March 23, 2017 @7:00 P.M.

« back to Public Meetings