« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of January 26, 2017 @ 7:00PM

Roll Call:

            The meeting was called to order at 7:03 P.M.

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Counsel Quint, Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None
(2)       Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
            None
(3)       Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
         

   President Gallagher reviewed the content of the CSDA Leadership Academy seminar.  One seminar will be held in Napa in July.  A Director(s) may want to consider attending the seminar.  There are other offerings in the Professional Development catalog.

Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 15, 2016
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept December 31, 2016 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept December, 2016 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)       President Gallagher

  1. LAFCo:  No one attended the January 18 meeting.
  2. CSDA – Local Chapter:  The next meeting is February 7.  

(c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:   President Gallagher attended a meeting on January 19.  The meeting was called to approve the obligation payment schedule for July 1, 2017-June 30, 2018.  The Board was updated on litigation vs. the California Department of Finance; Daly City prevailed.  One more claim needs to be settled.  It was reported that two properties in the Bayshore district were sold—the former firehouse lot on Schwerin & Geneva and the old Bayshore library property.  President Gallagher questioned the sale of the library property and reminded the Oversight Board that she had expressed, on more than one occasion, that the District might be interested in purchasing the property back from the City when it was put on the market.  Counsel to the Oversight Board explained that the property can be sold under a different premise since it is redevelopment property.  Under ordinary circumstances the property would have to first be offered to government entitles.  The library property was not visibly posted until the day after the meeting.  It was stated that the property was advertised through multiple listing.  Reportedly it was purchased by a Daly City businessman who plans to use it for office space.  The purchaser and sale price will be disclosed at the next Oversight Board meeting.  District Counsel will briefly research the legal statutes surrounding the sale but does agree that there is a different process for the sale of redevelopment property.  There could be some question about how it was marketed and posted.

(9)       Daly City:   
(1) Director Rizzi reported for a resident that there is occasionally grease/oil coming from Kentucky Fried Chicken causing cleanup problems on his Rio Verde Street property.  The Maintenance Director will check this out but asked Director Rizzi to provide an address.

 (2) Domino’s Pizza located at 2665 Geneva Avenue has opened.  

(3) Daly City is considering whether or not to be a sanctuary city.  A deciding factor could be whether or not there would be any loss of federal funding.

(10)     Brisbane:  No report.

Staff Reports:

(11)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:   Shaw Pipeline completed installation of the new section of pipe at the end of Industrial Way.  It was inspected and televised. 
On December 21 we received a service request from 120 MacDonald Avenue.  As was reported about a year ago, there were roots in a section of line on MacDonald Avenue.  The roots have grown back.  The property owner had a contractor dig up the line and the District assisted in removing the roots with rodding equipment.  The main was televised and the video of the work was shown to the Board.  We will monitor the pipe line.

(12)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       December meter reading data:  There 9 rainfall events in December resulting in 6½ inches of rain.  The average daily flow was 366,000 gallons.  The metered and calculated discharge is very close.  On a rainy January 10 the flow was 1,571,000 gallons.  Some flow measurements were taken during that  rain event and there were 2 and 3 pumps running.  When the 2nd pump comes on the rate increases substantially; however, when the 3rd and 4th come on it doesn’t increase the pump rate as much.  The ground is so saturated that we are getting more I/I with inflow being the larger problem.       
(b)       Carlyle Pump Station upgrades:  As reported at the December meeting, the spare impeller has been ordered.  The agreement for the replacement generator has been signed and the 25% payment approved this evening.
            (c)        SFPUC water quality sampling:  The November results are nothing out of the ordinary.  The Engineer has requested the December sampling data.
            (d)       Update CIP/Master Plan:  Started working on it this month.
            (e)       Robertson School development:  We have received no information about sale of the property.
            (f)        Point Martin:  We were advised by Dave Beaumont that the project has been delayed due to environmental and traffic issues.
            (g)       209 MacDonald Avenue:  This is the property where two homes are served by one lateral.  This matter was discussed at the December meeting and the Engineer advised Daly City about the situation.  The City has required the owner of 205 MacDonald Avenue to install their own lateral.  This does not require a connection fee since they have been paying sewer service charges.
            (h)       Geneva Avenue repaving project:  Engineer Yeager was contacted by a consultant doing a paving project for Daly City.  A small portion is in the District on Geneva Avenue from Castillo to the San Francisco County line.  The District has a couple manholes and sewer lines in the project area.  The Maintenance Director should take a look at the facilities because there will be a 5 year moratorium on street cuts after the project is complete.
            (i)        SFPUC capacity charge – Bayshore Elementary School:  On July 7, 2016 Landmark Construction was instructed to issue a check payable to the SFPUC and mail to the District for transmittal to the SFPUC.  Instead they made the check payable to Bayshore Sanitary District.  The checked was voided and returned to Landmark with those instructions again on September 27, 2016.  When payment was not received, reminder notices were sent on October 28, 2016 and January 3, 2017.  Subsequent to the January 3 reminder, Landmark advised they had issued the check made payable and mailed directly to the SFPUC.  The Engineer has written to the SFPUC explaining the situation and asking if they received/found the check.
            (j)        Zayo Group:  They are going to install a 3¼ inch conduit for future telecommunications.  The work will be from Geneva Avenue to Velasco along Pueblo.  The Engineer was contacted asking about permitting requirements.  They will need a Class 4 Permit, pay a $750 deposit and submit plans or review.
            (k)        PG&E Class 4 Permit:  A draft agreement was sent after Christmas.  Engineer Yeager was advised that they were going to send the draft to their legal counsel.  He also reiterated  that the charges  for District staff time for the work at 236 Rio Verde Street had to be paid as a condition of the permit.  PG&E doesn’t want to pay those charges and the contractor doesn’t think they should have to pay.  That is something that will have to be worked out between PG&E and the contractor.  We have received no comments from PG&E regarding the permit.  The staff we have been dealing with have advised that they have nothing planned in the District at this time.  The Engineer will advise PG&E  that until we get the agreement back they can only undertake emergency work within the District boundaries.

(13)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            No report.

(14)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
            (a)       Website updates:  The site has been updated. 
            (b)       Grand Jury recommendation  implementation timeline:  The Clerk reviewed the recommendations with a March 23 deadline for final disposition.  With regard to R6, the Engineer will facilitate a self-evaluation/performance session of key management areas at the March 23 meeting.  R8 and R9 both deal with annual notices to ratepayers.  Much of the information listed in those recommendations can be found on the District’s website.  R14 concerns changing from odd to even numbered year elections.  In November we submitted a resolution and request to the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors.  The Clerk recently followed up on this and learned that it had fallen through the cracks; will continue to monitor.

Old Business:     
                  None

New Business:
           
(15)     Appoint Ad Hoc Committee to work with Daly City re reciprocity agreement
            The President recently came upon a memo from Counsel Bakker re Daly City and District cooperation with one another with regard to projects.  He believes what was worked out should be put in writing.  President Gallagher recently saw City Manager Pat Martel who also remembers the discussions re reciprocity.  She suggested that each agency have a couple members come together and work out a protocol.  Engineer Yeager suggested that he begin by writing a letter to the new Public Works Director Richard Chiu.  He will explain what has transpired and then we could meet.  He doesn’t believe it would necessarily need to be formalized by the City Council but at a staff level.  He remarked that we have made progress in other areas but we do need to memorialize our standard procedures for future personnel.

(16)     Ethics Training:  A special Meeting will be held on March 9 to conduct the semi-annual Ethics Training.

(17)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
            None

Adjournment:

            A motion was made by  Director Rizzi, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:21 P.M.  The next meeting is February 23, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

« back to Public Meetings