« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of August 25, 2016 @ 7:00PM

                  The meeting was called to order at 7:17 by Vice Chair Quinteros.

Present:           Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck
Absent:            Gallagher*, Tonna
Also:                Counsel Quint, Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None
(2)       Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
            None
(3)       Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
            None

Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the Regular Meeting of August 25, 2016
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept August 31, 2016 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept August, 2016 checking account reconciliation
(8)       Accept Fiscal Year 2015-16 Audit

            The Clerk asked that Item (8) be pulled from the Consent Agenda; the Audit has not yet been issued.  A motion was made by Director  Swanbeck, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(9)       President Gallagher

  1. LAFCo:   The Maintenance Director attended the meeting yesterday.  He was surprised to see that there were no other attendees from special districts.  Presentations were made to termed out Assemblyman Rich Gordon and Supervisor Adrienne Tissier.

The Executive Director read LAFCo's response to the Grand Jury report re Westborough Water.  The response also addressed the findings which was surprising since only the subjects of the report are required to respond to findings.
There was a Public Hearing with regard to the budget which is now $493,000 per year, including held over reserves.  The operating budget is $342,000, a majority of which covers charges levied by the County, i.e., rent, legal services, staff, etc.  In response to a question from Director Rizzi, Mr. Landi said that funding for LAFCo comes from a three way split among the County, cities and special districts. 

  1. CSDA – Local Chapter:   No report

(c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:   No report.

(10)     Daly City:  Director Rizzi reported that foundation work has begun on the new Bayshore Elementary School.
           
(11)     Brisbane:  No report.

Staff Reports:

(12)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:  The Carlyle Pump Station is operating properly.  Telstar completed updating the panel. 
A post SSO video inspection was conducted on the Midway line.  There is a sag for approximately 30 feet which can be repaired at a later date.  The line hadn't been flushed recently due to debris covering the manholes preventing access.
 (*President Gallagher arrived @ 7:23)
The contractor for Bayshore Elementary School obtained a 4 foot manhole cover vs. the original 3 foot cover.  To accommodate the installation a concrete ring will be poured.  The Maintenance Director doesn't foresee a problem with this--the manhole is theirs.
On September 12 there as a semi truck vs. auto accident at Allan & Geneva resulting in a diesel spill.  The Board viewed photos taken at the scene.  The leak was right over a District manhole.  Daly City personnel responded and notified the District.  Absorbent material was used to soak up the fuel.  Fortunately the two manholes in the path of the diesel spill had inserts.  The inserts were full so hardly any of the fuel went into the system.  The liners were cleaned and the absorbent products were properly disposed.
On September 20 the District received a USA notice of a cleanout installation at 236 Rio Verde Street.  The notice indicated that the cleanout was behind the property line.  The work was to begin on September 22.  Yesterday, September 21, the Maintenance Director visited the property and saw that the work was not being done "behind" the property line as reported.  Norcal Pipeline had already begun excavation in the sidewalk area.  They were advised by Mr. Landi that the work required a Class 4 permit and that they had to temporarily cover the trench until the permit issues were resolved.  He was told by the construction crew that this work was being done for PG&E who it was reported, is going to bore a new gas line.  They added that a contractor had been hired by PG&E to video the line to find this particular cleanout to determine the depth.  They couldn't get by the cleanout and decided to dig it up.   The Maintenance Director went to the site this morning and found that they had proceeded with the work contrary to his instructions.  They put the original cast iron pipe back.  It was televised and found to be satisfactory.
On September 21 the Engineer spoke to Anthony at Norcal in Bakersfield.  He was advised that PG&E has a CCTV project throughout the District and that the CCTV contractor was putting his camera up the line and hit a root ball which prevented passage of the camera.  Mr. Yeager reminded the Board that back in February PG&E asked the District what kind of permits they would need to conduct CCTV studies.  The Engineer forwarded the permit application and advised PG&E that we needed to more information about what they would be doing.  In August he received a call from another contractor for PG&E asking the same questions.  Norcal Pipelines said that PG&E has a number of contractors doing the CCTV work.  The Engineer called PG&E yesterday and was advised that they would get back to him with the information.  It appears that PG&E may have multiple contractors videoing District lines without permits and without our knowledge.  Given that fact, PG&E should probably be the responsible party with regard to permits and providing us with scheduling information.  This raises the question, who is liable when someone goes into our manholes and causes a problem or damage? 
           
(13)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       August meter reading data:  The average daily flow in August was 281,903 gallons.  PG&E had two small discharges of 18,000 gallons.  They are finished with their large project but have two smaller projects which will generate much less volume.
            (b)       Carlyle Pump Station upgrades:  The redundant system is installed and the impeller is being manufactured.  District Counsel has issued their opinion that the generator purchase is not a project; therefore, the District can deal directly with a qualified vendor.
            (c)        SFPUC water quality sampling:  New sampling data was just received and will be used to submit our annual documentation to the SFPUC.  The contaminant levels for COD (430), Suspended Solids (115) and Oil & Grease (23) are significantly lower than the estimated amounts in our contract and lower than last year.  This should result in a reduced annual sewer service charge.  We had issues with the sampling this year and always kept the SFPUC apprised.  More detail will be provided at the October meeting.
            (d)       209 MacDonald Avenue:   We were finally provided with proper documentation.  The plans do not show a second kitchen so no capacity charge for the District is due.  The plans indicate an increase in the water meter size.  The SFPUC was notified, they made calculations which were provided to the developer and he has submitted payment.  The payment was transmitted to the SFPUC and Daly City was notified that they can issue the building permit.  They will be installing a new lateral and will cap the abandoned lateral.
            (e)       Bayshore Elementary School:  As reported in 12(a) the buried manhole was raised to grade.
            (f)        Update CIP/Master Plan:  Preliminary work has begun.  It will be a thorough plan documenting conditions in the  District so that going forward there will be information for successors.  In evaluating the pumps and pumping rates, all pumps that undergo a major repair show significant increased output.  The bottom line is that the pumps are very good.
            (g)       Development of GIS map:  The project is basically finished.  The Clerk asked if there will be a map she can provide to Underground Service Alert to try to get the boundaries correct.  There will be a pdf that we can provide to them.  The book of maps were circulated for the Board to view.  The next step is to provide the new maps to the Webmaster for posting on our website.

            (h)       Alpine Motel:  The Motel wants to add a four story addition which would increase capacity from 32 to 51 units.  This project is going through the Daly City Planning Department.  The addition is on the back of the lot and in addition to that, they may be removing some units in the front to create parking.  Daly City asked for comments from the District; Mr. Yeager responded on  September 8 and that letter will be part of the public record for the project.  The Motel will be required to take out a Class 4 permit, pay a capacity fee to the SFPUC and a capacity charge levied by the District based on estimated discharge.  At this time we don't know if the lateral size will have to be increased.
            (i)        Sewer Service/capacity Charge:  Two manual sewer service charge billings were recently resent--one to PG&E and the second to  Saddleback.
 (j)       Point Martin II:  The developer has submitted a tentative map and a precise plan to Daly City; we have been provided a copy.  They have submitted a Class 2 permit and provided the requested $1,500 plan review fee.  The tentative map doesn't show a lot of detail with regard to the utilities.  The developer has indicated they will do some initial grading including retaining walls during December and will start construction of the wet utilities in June, 2017.  The detailed utility plans should be released in December/January.  The Engineer will review the tentative map and comment on the utilities.  There are 117 dwelling units planned but not yet approved.  Entrance to the development will be on Carter Street and a second will be to Carter Street via Steve Courter Way.

(14)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            No report

(15)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
            No report

Old Business:     

(16)     Grand Jury Report, review and approve Ad Hoc Committee draft response #3
            The Clerk advised the Board that the District received notice that the Coastside County Water District has made a formal request to move to even year elections.  She said that as more districts move to even years, costs for those districts remaining on the odd year cycle would likely increase.  She was instructed to make an inquiry with regard to the process and possible fees involved with moving from odd to even numbered years.
            With regard to the report "San Mateo County's Cottage Industry of Sanitary Districts", the City of Brisbane is the only entity with a published response.  The Board and Staff  reviewed draft #2, changes were made and draft #3 was circulated.  After discussion, a motion was made by Director Rizzi approving the District's response and directing the Clerk to submit the response as required.  The motion was seconded by Director Swanbeck and unanimously passed by voice vote.

New Business:

(17)     Housing Authority claim

            A claim for reimbursement of plumbing charges was received shortly before the August meeting.  No decision on the merits could be made because the item was not on the Agenda and also, we needed clarifying information to evaluate the claim.  The Clerk sent a letter to the Authority on August 30 acknowledging receipt of the claim and asking for more information.  To date there has been no response.  She will make a second request giving a due date of October 20 and the item will be continued to the October 27 meeting.

(18)     Consideration of Engineering fee hourly increase
            The Engineer is requesting a $5 per hour increase.  A motion was made by Director Quinteros approving the increase.  The motion was seconded by Director Swanbeck and unanimously passed by voice vote.
           
(19)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
            None

Adjournment:

            The meeting was adjourned at 8:44 P.M.  The next Regular Meeting is October 27, 2016 at 7:00 P.M.   

« back to Public Meetings