« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of June 23, 2016 @ 7:00PM

Opening of Meeting:  The meeting was called to order at 7:01 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                District Counsel Quint, Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)       Communications from members of the public
            None

(2)       Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
            Engineer Yeager was contacted by a representative of the Pt. Martin development.  He was provided with a tentative schedule:  pregrading December, 2016; trenching for sanitary June, 2017; tie into sewer July 2017; lateral connections December 2017; and service activation February, 2018.  As a result of this information we need to budget for the fees associated with plan checks and inspections.  He also received a call from the contractor who is tearing down the Bayshore Elementary School and was provided with the plans today.  These two projects will impact staff fees by $20,000 in FY 2016-17.

(3)       Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
The Board was provided with a booklet re the October, San Diego CSDA Conference.  This item will be placed on the July agenda.
           
Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)       Minutes of the Regular Meeting of May 26, 2016 and Special Meeting of June 16, 2016
(5)       Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)       Accept May 31 2016 report on District’s current financial status
(7)       Accept May, 2016 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director  Quinteros seconded by Director Rizzi and passed approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)       President Gallagher

  1. LAFCo:   No report
  2. CSDA – Local Chapter:   No report.

            (c)        Redevelopment Oversight Board:   President Gallagher attended a meeting at City Hall on June 13.  The Committee passed a resolution approving the conveyance of real property in Daly City.  Lawson Hall and certain parking lots were taken out of the property to be sold.  The Committee was also provided an update on the recognized obligations.

(9)       Daly City:  No report.
           
(10)     Brisbane:  The President attended the Baylands Advisory Committee meeting on Tuesday.  There were presentations from a representative of the Department of Toxics and the Regional Water Quality Board.  The presenter's talks were frequently interrupted by questions and the program ran much longer than anticipated.  Wayne Haggin who has worked with the CAG for 8 years is retiring.  It was also mentioned that the Visitacion Valley portion of the Baylands project is ready to go into the next phase.

Staff Reports:

(11)     Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)       Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:  Mr. Landi participated in a meeting with the Grand Jury.  Two representatives were given a tour of the Carlyle Station and information previously provided was reviewed.
Conducted inspections of the Accacia Street project main and 12 laterals.  A few of the laterals need to be excavated because there was no camera access; most laterals need flushing.  The street has been paved; however, gutters have not been installed.  This inspection was done after base rock--laterals will be re-inspected prior to occupancy.
(b)       Succession planning:  As mentioned at the May meeting, the So. San Francisco (SSF) Public Works Field Supervisor has indicated that they are too busy now to take on additional work.  Our expectation was not that they would begin providing service now but would provide an estimate to provide service in the future.  The Board could consider putting out an RFP or contacting Daly City again.  The Maintenance Director may follow up with the SSF Public Works/City Engineer to confirm that they are not interested in submitting a price to provide emergency response and preventive maintenance.

(12)     District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       May meter reading data:  The total discharge was 9,687,000 which is an average daily flow of 312,484.  That figure includes the MSC groundwater discharge which was over a million gallons in May.  The average daily flow minus the MSC discharge is 269,646; typical for a summer day
            (b)       PG&E MSC discharge:  PG&E has requested a one month extension to the discharge permit.  They will submit an additional deposit to cover remaining costs.  With regard to the discharge fees, they will be billed June 30 and then again when the discharge is complete in July.  The total for the two billings will be approximately $30,000.
            (c)        Carlyle Pump Station upgrades: We have received a quote in the amount of $8,507 for a standby impeller from Pump Repair Service.  Telstar Instruments has provided a quote for a new control system in the amount of $15,125.  A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Quinteros and passed by voice vote authorizing the Engineer and Maintenance Director to order these parts after July 1.  These items are included in the FY 2016-17 budget.
            (d)       SFPUC water quality sampling:  The COD and suspended solids data for May and June is much lower than they have been in the past; approximately 50% lower.  This is likely due to the dilution effect of the MSC discharge.  We may need to continue to sample through September and use that data to calculate the dry weather concentrations.
            (e)       88 Accacia Street:  The cleanout cover was removed and the lateral inspected.  It is in good condition and can continue to be used.  They have excavated a square in the cleanout area and will be provided with a cleanout diagram from the District's Standard Specs.
            (f)        209 MacDonald Avenue:  There has been no contact from the property owner or developer.  The original deposit has been expended on engineering costs; have requested an additional deposit to cover engineering and inspection costs.  The Engineer said that they plan to replace the lateral.
            (g)       Accacia Street subdivision:  As mentioned under 11(a) inspections have been made.  The District's connection fees and the SFPUC capacity fees have been paid and the engineering/inspection deposit has been increased.
            (h)       Robertson School:  Corresponded with the architect for the Robertson and Bayshore Schools.  No connection fee or inspection is required at the Robertson School site since they are connecting to their own existing lateral.  The architect was advised that there would be fees associated with the Bayshore School; however, there has been no response.  He has talked the contractor and that may be the District's contact going forward.
            (i)        Annual Sewer Service Charge:  The preliminary FY 2016-17 SSC was provided at the June 16 Budget Workshop.  The report has been reviewed twice and the Engineer has been working with EDS on some computer problems and data entry errors.  The bottom line is that the amount has not changed.  He will have the final number before the July meeting.
            Three customers had unusually high flow during the reporting period.  Current flow is compared to prior year flow looking for things that just don't make sense.  The old VanArsdale Lumber site has been vacant for two years but they had 2 months of very high water usage.  Recology now owns that property and when questioned, responded that they were advised by the SFPUC that there was water being used on a closed account.  Recology inspected the site and found an illegal camper who had appropriated water and left it running.  The water did not go into the sewer so the Engineer will zero out the usage.  There was one month of high usage at Bayshore School.  The Engineer wrote to the School District but has received no response.  Golden State Lumber does a lot of watering for dust control.  We've been estimating the volume for that purpose.  Going forward we have asked them to keep a log and submit it to the District.
            (j)        Update CIP/Master Plan:  The work has begun and will continue into the new fiscal year.  Mr. Yeager met with a Daly City planner and discussed developments in Daly City, i.e. Robertson School, Pt. Martin, Midway Village redevelopment, Alpine Inn redevelopment, possible new motel on Geneva Ave., etc.  There is no information regarding plans for the Cow Palace or the Geneva Drive-In property.
            (k)        Development of GIS map:  The boundary issues have been resolved and the Engineer will provide the Clerk with a map to submit to USA.  The current mapping they are using is resulting in the District receiving calls out of its service area.  Revising the current maps hasn't resolved the issue.
            (l)        SFPUC Capacity Charge:  There has been some back and forth communication relative to the mechanics of assessing the SFPUC capacity charge.  We have resolved this with the SFPUC and they will be providing an updated procedure; things should go smoother.  However, the Engineer is still concerned about getting prompt responses to questions.

(13)     District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
            (a)       Senate Bill 272 re Information Systems:  This bill was sponsored by Senator Herzberg and is an add on to the Public Records Act.  The sponsor believes that members of the public have the right to know about systems that contain information on the public.  In the case of the District, that would include Quickbooks software, software used by EDS, GIS mapping, etc.  Information in the form of a spreadsheet is required to be on an entity's website and it would include the name of the vendor, name of the product, the purpose, types of data, who is the custodian and frequency of data collected.  Counsel will work with the Engineer and Clerk to gather the information and get it posted by the July 1 deadline. 

(14)     District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
            No report.

Old Business:      None

New Business:

(15)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken

Adjournment:

            A motion was made by  Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Quinteros and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 P.M.  The next Regular Meeting is July 28, 2016 at 7:00 P.M.   That meeting will include a Public Hearing to adopt the 2016-17 SSC report and  the budget.

« back to Public Meetings