« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Special Meeting of September 17, 2015

Opening of Meeting:  The meeting was called to order at 7:01 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                District Counsel Bakker, Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

(1)        Communications from members of the public 
None
(2)        Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
None
(3)        Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
Correspondence was included in the meeting packets. 

Consent Agenda:   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

(4)        Minutes of the Regular Meeting of July 23, 2015
(5)        Payment authorization for bills and compensation
(6)        Accept 7/31/15 report on District’s current financial status
(7)        Accept July, 2015 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed approving consent items 4-7. 

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

(8)        President Gallagher

  1. LAFCo:   The next meeting is September 16;  President Gallagher will attend.
  2. CSDA – Local Chapter:  A meeting was held on August 4.  A presentation was made by a member of the Resource Management District regarding their efforts working with farms on the coast.  President Slater-Carter sought support to write a letter to LAFCo regarding the negative way 0 spheres of influence are presented in the Municipal Service Reviews.  There was not enough support; no letter on behalf of the Chapter will be sent.
  3. Redevelopment Oversight Board:   
    (a) Daly City Library site.   There is a meeting on September 14.  President Gallagher is not sure what will be discussed. 

(9)        Daly City:  Director Rizzi said he has seen plans for the Robertson School site.  The plan is for two story homes with one common wall; however, additional studies must be conducted.  He indicated that the project looks larger than what we had previously been advised.  The School will be demolished in about two years.  Engineer Yeager has talked to one of the developer's representatives a few times and he expressed interest in making a presentation to the Board, possibly in September.  The same developer is doing the Robertson School project and Point Martin.  There actually may be a third parcel.

(10)      Brisbane:  No report.

Staff Reports:

(11)      Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)        Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:  Carlyle Station is operating properly.  There is a correction to the monthly report.  The pump operating hours for #4 pump is 16.4.  We received and responded to a generator running alarm on Saturday.  The Station was operating via generator for about 3½ hours on August 21st while PG&E was performing work on a transformer.
The 2014-15 CIP began last month.  Mr. Landi showed the Board a video of the various sites that have been completed.  The contractor has pulled off the project for about 1-2 weeks.
There was a service request at 230 Accacia Street.  This property shares a mainline connection with two neighboring properties.  The line was televised to look for deficiencies; the cause was roots not the structural condition.
(b)       Generator permit application update:  We have received our permit which included some conditions.  To date, no fee has been levied for the immediate prior 3 years for operating the generator without a permit.

(12)      District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
(a)        July meter reading data:  The average daily flow was 242,581 gallons, one of the lowest months we have seen.  This is due to water conservation and the dry weather conditions.
(b)        SFPUC water quality sampling:  The dry weather sampling has begun.
(c)        2014-15 CIP:   Stoloski & Gonzalez has submitted a revised schedule with a September 17 completion date.  The repair at MacDonald and Bayshore has not been done.  There is a line on the south side and the north side of MacDonald and they discharge into one manhole.  The original site of a new manhole on Bayshore is not feasible due to the location of a storm line.  The new design required potholing.  PG&E was present to provide input on the location of live lines.  During this process ground water was detected and a sample collected.  That sample will be analyzed and we will work with the SFPUC to secure a discharge permit which will be tied into our permit.  Freyer & Laureta is following this process.
The first progress payment to Stoloski & Gonzalez has been approved by the Engineer and Maintenance Director.
(d)        Additional Capacity Entitlement:  The charge for Subway Sandwich was withdrawn since the fees had been paid by the builder in 2007.  The billing to the Royal Palace Motel has been deferred to allow them to look for leaks and make repairs.  Brisbane Landfill/Sunquest has paid their connection-rental fee.  The Town Motel has an outstanding bill of $16,570 as does the Alpine Inn, $495.  The billing to the Town Motel was sent certified, return receipt since they have been unresponsive to other actions relative to the property.  The Maintenance Director visited the Town Motel and showed the on duty manager where they must disconnect the downspout.  Engineer Yeager would like District Counsel to write a letter to the Town Motel; he will handle the follow up with the Alpine Inn.  The Engineer will provide Counsel Bakker with the bill with late fees for the Town Motel.
Director Tonna asked what recourse the District has with regard to failure to pay by the Town Motel.  What happens if the property changes ownership?  It may be that it has changed ownership sometime during the last 3-4 months.  Counsel said that the fees could be placed on the tax rolls next fiscal year and there are other possible legal avenues, i.e. a line, etc.
(e)        Annual Sewer Service Report:  The report is complete and has been submitted to San Mateo County.
(f)        SFPUC connection/capacity fee:  Mr. Yeager wrote a letter to the SFPUC requesting clarification on a couple items.  Specifically, he addressed our preferred way in handling the collection of connection fees on their behalf.  That is, checks would be made payable to the SFPUC and not be run through the District's accounting system.  He also has questions on how to interpret their new procedure.  On August 25 he received a letter from the SFPUC acknowledging receipt of his inquiry.
(g)        SFPUC 2014-15 flow/water quality data:  The SFPUC reviewed the data submitted by the District.  They found some minor discrepancies and it was noted that there was an increase in oils and grease.
(h)        Development of GIS map:  Phase 2 was approved at the last meeting and the contract is ready for signature.  A data base has been created of all the non-lateral CIP improvements.  That can be attached to the GIS map so we have  a permanent record of the improvements, laterals replaced as well as accurate locations of manholes.  We will have a database where all the historical knowledge can be added.  There is another database with video inspections.  The information will be searchable.
(i)         Point Martin/Robertson School:  The developer of these projects has asked for information with regard to the SFPUC connection/capacity fee.  He has been provided with what information we have at this time.
(l)         Sanitary Sewer Management Plan (SSMP) update:  The update has been completed.  It should have been submitted in May but we have been trying to get information from the Regional Board on their guidance manual.  The Engineer would like the Board to adopt the Revised SSMP.  This revision includes an introduction, revised goals, updated emergency information and procedures, a plan for the force main, expanded section on fats-oil-grease with problem areas identified, a description of the GIS project, update of the master plan later this year and a list of all overflows since 2011.  This Revised SSMP will need to be posted on the District's website.  A motion was made by Director Swanbeck to adopt SSMP Revision #2.  The motion was seconded by Director Tonna and passed by the following roll call vote:

Ayes:                Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Noes:               None
Absent:            None

            The Clerk and Engineer will work together to get the material to AwardTech to be posted on the website.

(13)      District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
None

(14)      District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
None

Old Business:

(15)      Community outreach
The President contacted Parle and provided them with the mockup magnet design prepared by Director Rizzi.  She has not received a firm quote; will follow up.

New Business:

(16)      Draft FY 2014-15 audit
President Gallagher reviewed the draft.  Engineer Yeager said there are a few lines that have not been accounted for relative to the depreciation schedule.  The President and  Clerk will review the Fechter & Co. transmittal letter to make sure that all documents and footnotes are in order.

 (17)     Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
Since the President will be on vacation in September, there was agreement that the meeting will be held on September 17 instead of September 24.

Adjournment:

            A motion was made by Director Rizzi, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:05 P.M.  The next meeting is September 17, 2005 at 7:00 P.M.

« back to Public Meetings