« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of April 23, 2015 @ 7:00 P.M.

Opening of Meeting

The meeting was called to order at 7:04 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, and Clerk Landi
           
Oral and Written Communications(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

  1. Communications from members of the public 
    None
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    None
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    Provided in monthly meeting packets.

Consent Agenda: 

 (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of March 26, 2015.  President Gallagher made two
    corrections.  (1) The Redevelopment oversight meeting date was April 20 and (2) On page 3, 3rd paragraph change "It is NOT to It is NOW operating properly."
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept December 3/31/15 report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept March, 2015 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck  and passed approving consent items 4-7 with corrections to the Minutes as noted above.

Board Reports

– consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
  2. LAFCo – consideration of draft MSR:   Counsel Lauren Quint participated in the discussion via speaker phone.  She reviewed the suggested changes to some of the language which was misleading or inaccurate.  One notable point is that the recommended study should be much broader in scope.  As to reaffirming the zero sphere of influence and recommendation to dissolve the District, there is no factual basis for the recommendation.  Engineer Yeager commented that the District has reserves because the District is run in a responsible manner and the MSR should reflect that the reserves are due to fiscal responsibility.  It was noted that the draft report did not make any mention of the failed 1996 attempt to dissolve the District.  There was no community support for doing so and the studies conducted at that time indicated that dissolution would not have been in the best interest of the constituents.  

            After Counsel Quint's presentation, the Board reviewed all the changes proposed by Counsel.   There was consensus that additional changes should be made.  They are:  (1) With regard to the statement that the Board manages the District, should be noted that the Board manages and sets policy.  Contract staff executes those policies.  (2)  On page 10 there is language about disadvantaged unincorporated communities; seems like there is something missing, doesn't make sense.  (3) The rates on page 7 are incorrect and should be changed.  The Clerk will provide Counsel with these changes/corrections.

A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Rizzi and unanimously passed by voice vote authorizing Counsel and the Clerk to finalize the letter and submit to the LAFCo consultants.

  1. CSDA - Local Chapter:  The next meeting should be in early May.
  2. Redevelopment Oversight Board:  At their April 20 meeting the Board approved a long range property management plan.  The properties include parking lots on Hillcrest/Mission, Mission/Bepler, San Jose Ave./Bepler, Lawson Hall, Abbot Avenue apartment building, Pacific Plaza office and hotel site, Landmark Phase 3 on Mission St., the Geneva Library site and the former fire station on Geneva/Schwerin.  The proposed disposition is that all except the Library and former fire station be kept for future development.  However, that requires approval by the State.  The former library and fire station will be sold and proceeds distributed to the affected agencies, of which we are one.  The District owned the Library and sold it to the City for $35,000 in 1973 or 1974.  The current estimated value is $117,410 but the properties will be appraised..  Staff recommended disposing of the property at maximum value.  President Gallagher posed the idea that the District might want to consider purchasing the property.  As a government entity we have first right of refusal.  It would provide a community presence.  We could conduct our meetings there which would be more accessible to our constituents and the community could use the building.  No one has any idea what condition the building is in--it is currently used for Daly City PD storage.  President Gallagher said she presented this information and thought the Board might want to think about the idea.
  3. Daly City:  Director Swanbeck said that through her membership on the Geneva-Harney CAC she learned that Recology has expansion plans which will include 600-800 vehicles.  The Engineer was aware of expansion plans but had no idea of the number of vehicles coming and going to the site.
  4. Brisbane:  No report.

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:  The Carlyle Station is operating properly.  Telstar calibrated the flowmeter on April 22.  There was one emergency generator alarm; however no problem was found.  There was a reportable overflow incident at Talbert & MacDonald; this is scheduled for repair in the CIP.  The line has a bad joint and a sag.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. March meter reading data:    The pumps are operating properly.
    b. Kinder Morgan Brisbane tank farm:   The refund of their unused permit fee has been calculated and will be distributed.
    c. Cratus, Inc.:   A refund for the unused portion of their permit fee has been calculated and will be distributed.
    d. SFPUC water quality sampling:   They are now testing in the wetwell.
    e. Upgrading of Recology’s facilities:  Recology is closing two transfer stations in San Francisco and moving everything to this expanded facility.  It will be done in two phases.  Their offices are in Brisbane now but they will be moved to the San Francisco side of the property.  They have a long narrow building in Brisbane which will be used for processing.  There are some maintenance facilities for trucks and bins.  There will be truck maintenance and vehicle parking and a very large number of employees.  We do not know if they will be in Brisbane or San Francisco.  We currently service the buildings in Brisbane.  The Engineer has drafted a letter with regard to the need  for a permit from the District and information about what the waste will be.  One building is on top of the 78" interceptor line.  An EIR needs to be conducted
    f. SSMP audit and recertification:  It is to be submitted on May 10th; however, the State has not issued their guidance document.  Engineer Yeager wants to review that document before submitting; he will request an extension. The revised audit will be provided to Counsel for her review prior to submission.
    g. Daly City Schwerin Street paving and waterline projects:  Daly City is  planning to repave Schwerin the middle to end of July.  The water line project is wrapping up and the sidewalks and curb cuts will be constructed.
    h. 2014-15 CIP:  The contract is fully executed and the required insurance documents have been submitted.  A notice to proceed letter has been issued.  The Engineer and Jeff Tarantino of Freyer & Laureta met with Daly City to discuss the project.  The City will make their utility maps available.  The two lateral replacements should be done prior to the paving; however if that isn't possible, will done on a force account basis.  Ray Town is the Acting City Engineer and will honor the verbal mutual cooperation agreement between the President and City Manager Martel.  There will be no permit or inspection fees.  Mr. Town did say that a formal agreement will have to be worked out when there is a permanent City Engineer. 
    There is a possibility of lamp black in the area of the spot repair in Midway Village.  Jeff Tarantino will contact the Department of Toxic Substances.  Tentatively the plans will be ready for the May meeting, bids will be solicited and opened and a recommendation made at the June 25 meeting.  Following selection a notice to proceed will be issued prior to the July 4 holiday.
    i. Proposal for developing GIS map:  The contract has been executed and the notice to proceed issued.  The Engineer met with Daly City's GIS technician to determine if they have a GIS map for their storm facilities; they do not.  This may be done later in the year and then the maps could be merged.
    j. Town Motel:  No report.
    k. Annual Sewer Service Charge Report:   The work will begin in May.
  3. District Counsel
    No report.
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
    a.  AB 2028 All Mail Ballot Pilot Program:  The Clerk attended the April 9 meeting.   A summary of the presentation was provided to the Board prior to the meeting.  There must be 100% participation by all special districts in the County.  It was the consensus of the Board to adopt a resolution stating the District's intent to participate in the pilot program.
    b. Grand Jury follow-up to FY 2013-14 grand jury recommendations:  The Clerk provided the Board with a summary of responses to Recommendations 1-4.  The District is in compliance with Recommendations 1-3.  With regard to Recommendation 4 there was agreement that upon reconsideration, the recommendation will not be implemented.  The District of Distinction program offered by SDLF is voluntary, is a fee based program and requires training that may be given at any location in the State.  The Board feels that it is well managed and in compliance with all laws and regulations.  Participation in the program will not improve its operations and/or service to its constituents.  The Clerk will respond to the inquiry.

Old Business:

  1. General discussion of Director and Contract Staff succession planning
    The Maintenance Director said that he has not heard from the Daly City Water/Wastewater Department with regard to providing emergency and preventive maintenance to the District.
  2. Community outreach 
    The Clerk contacted Brisbane regarding signage.  The process requires a permit, in some cases a public hearing and the fee is unknown.  Directors Gallagher and Swanbeck and the Clerk will meet to discuss options.  Director Rizzi presented his sample magnet designs.  There was agreement that the 3"x5" vertical sample is preferred.  President Gallagher will contact Parle the company who fabricated the magnets prepared several years ago.

New Business:

  1. Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
    a. Meeting dates:  The President made the Board aware that she will be unavailable for the June and September meetings.  It was decided that a Special Meeting will be scheduled on June 16, 7 P.M.  This will be for the purpose of working on the Fiscal Year 2015-16 budget.
    b. The District received a request from a developer for input on a demo and rebuild at 377 Accacia Street.  The current home is 680 sf.  The proposed home is 3 stories, with 8 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and is 3500 sf.  Engineer Yeager's question is where does this fall with regard to connection fees.  If there is a secondary unit, that would trigger a second connection fee.  He can't find any language related to this situation on Daly City's website.  San Francisco's connection fee is based on square footage; the rebuilt 3500 sf structure would trigger a San Francisco connection fee.  The District's fee is based on EDUs.  The Engineer will contact Daly City to find out if they are going to permit this construction.  The Maintenance Director told the Board that they are planning to install a new sewer. 

Adjournment:

            A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed to adjourn the meeting at 9:40 P.M.  The next meeting is  May 28.

 

 

 

« back to Public Meetings