« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of January 25, 2014 @ 7:00 P.M.

Opening of Meeting

The meeting was called to order at 7:01 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, Clerk Landi and District
Counsel Quint


Oral and Written Communications:

  (Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

  1. Communications from members of the public 
    None
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    None
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    Correspondence was included in meeting packets and distributed before the meeting.   President Gallagher acknowledged receipt of the catalog from CSDA covering the leadership seminars and offerings.

Consent Agenda:

   (Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Special Meeting of December 17, 2014
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept December, 2014 report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept December, 2014 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck  and passed approving consent items 4-7.

Board Reports

consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
    a. LAFCo:   There was a meeting yesterday.  The Commissioners approved $37,000 for a Municipal Service Review of the San Mateo County Harbor District.  The Review is being conducted in response to a Grand Jury report.
    b.  CSDA – Local Chapter:   The next meeting should be the first week of February. 
    c. Redevelopment Oversight Board:   The January 26 meeting has been cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for February 9.
  2. Daly City:  Director Rizzi read excerpts from a letter composed by residents of the 200 block of Accacia Street.  The letter is directed to the City of Daly City and expresses the residents concern about water running into cellars, downstairs rooms and yards.  This is not a sewer problem; appears to be a storm water problem.

    Director Swanbeck distributed a diagram noting the location of groundwater basins being considered under the San Francisco and Northern Peninsula North Westside Groundwater Basin Management Plan.
  3. Brisbane:  No report.

 

 

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance   Because #4 pump is still off line, the pump hours are skewed. 
    The hilly area of the District has been televised.  During the December rain storm investigation, a severe break was found in that area so it was decided that the other lines should be investigated.  There was concern that due to terrain and settlement there could be other problems.  Overall, the lines are in good condition and no other sources of I/I were found.
    There was a power failure alarm generated by the Carlyle Station.  A man was routed to the Station to make sure that everything was operating properly.  The alarm has features that are underutilized because it does not have its own dedicated phone line.  The Clerk will check pricing to add a second line.  It is her understanding that since the current line is for phone, dsl and the alarm, it must be a static line.  If a second line is installed, it may provide some cost savings for the dsl service.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    a.  December meter reading data:    The average daily flow in December was 525,000 which is twice the normal daily dry weather flow.  There were fourteen rainfall events generating 11½ inches of rain in December.  One day, the station pumped 2.2 million gallons and the Station was able to pump that amount without any overflow.
    b. Entitlement Charges:   The Alpine Inn was sent a letter in July billing $2,167 for additional capacity since they had exceeded their entitlement.  They responded that they had some leaks which they were going to fix and asked for a deferment.  The Board granted them a six month delay.  For the 2014 calendar year their total discharge was 3,250 gallons per day which is slightly below their current entitlement.  The Engineer received invoices from the owners indicating that had spent $4,100 repairing leaks.  Engineer Yeager recommends we rescind the invoice but advise that should they exceed their entitlement during the next billing periods, they will be invoiced.
    c. FY Procedures Manual:   The document covering all the end of year financial matters is ready to be finalized.
    d. Kinder Morgan Brisbane Tank Farm:   They submitted their application and deposit.   The Engineer has begun working on the permit.  The current permit expires on February 7.  The revised permit should be ready for approval at the February meeting.  Mr. Yeager expects that by that time they will have received their permit from San Francisco.  They will be discharging daily and there are some administrative issues to work out.
    e. SFPUC water quality sampling:  The Engineer prepared a table of all the sampling results for wet and dry weather.  The estimated contract amounts for COD, TSS and FOG components exceed the actual.  The results are inconsistent which means they will need to continue the sampling.  The sampler is in now and will remain until February. 
    f. SSMP audit and recertification:  Work has begun on the update.  The Engineer wants to capture information relative to maintenance, i.e. how often video inspection is done and other components of the maintenance program.  We want to document what has been done and what needs to be done.  There is a section for goals.  Currently our Mission Statement is the goal section.  Does the Board want to make any changes?  The President pointed out that the Mission Statement is what we do; goals are what we want to do going forward. 
    The SSMP is required to be posted on the District's website.  Before it is finalized District Counsel should review the document.  The Engineer will do some wordsmithing with regard to the goals and would like to expand on the section re FOG problems in the District.  Some sections require no changes.  The State Board's standards manual, a handy reference, won't be available until the end of March.  The updated SSMP will need to be approved at the April meeting.
    g. 2014-15 CIP:  Will meet with Maintenance Director to finalize the project.
    The District received a letter from Daly City with regard to road improvements within the District.  They require that any work by other utilities be complete prior to June 7.  There are a couple laterals that should be replaced prior to the road overlay work.  The District will be responsible for paying to raise manholes in the project area.  The Engineer will respond to the City's request about the location of our facilities.
    h. Town Motel:  Neither the Engineer nor Maintenance Director have been able to reach the owner about removal of the downspout that is connected to the District's system.  Mr. Landi will attempt making contact via the Manager one more time.  If that does not resolve the matter, the Engineer will send a certified letter to the owner advising that the District will be billing him for the discharge.
    i.  Midway Village resident notifications:  The Engineer has talked to the Manager who has agreed to distribute informational brochures.  Sample brochures were provided to the Board and will be in English and Spanish.  The brochures explain what should not be flushed down toilets and why grease should not be put into the sewer.  There are 147 residents.  The brochures would cost approximately $40.  It was suggested that we order some extra copies.
    j.  Proposal for developing GIS map:   GIS is the acronym for Graphic Information System.  What the District has are paper maps indicating where the sewers are located.  With a GIS map you can have a hard copy but the map itself in the computer has various attributes, i.e. age of sewer, size and type of material, etc.  You can go further and add in maintenance records, a data base of video inspections, maintenance hot spots, etc.  Most agencies are going to GIS for the purpose of maintaining their maintenance records and institutional knowledge.  The proposal fee is $4,200.  One of the problems is that the manhole locations that would be used are the same as the manhole locations on our maps which are not exactly accurate.  You can take a handheld instrument and come up with coordinates; that is not included in the proposal.  This item isn't budgeted but there is probably enough in the Engineering account.  The Engineer thinks it is a good idea and said that this could be done in phases.  He will contact Murgreen Environmental to get more information.
  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. Consideration of amendment to Ordinance Code Section 301 regarding Replacement of lateral sewers after teardown or substantial remodel:  This has been discussed at previous meetings.  Based on the December discussion slight revisions have been made.  Teardown has been defined along with what constitutes a substantial remodel.  This amendment would be for the lateral sewer only.  The current draft exempts laterals less than 50 years old.  There was discussion on that point.  A majority of the Board thought that it is worthwhile to proceed with regard to teardowns and major remodels.  The section regarding exemption will be removed and the revised amendment will be brought back at the February meeting.
    b. Jurisdiction for building sewers:  No update; Counsel has been unable to talk to anyone who can be helpful.
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
    a.  CSDA Ethics Training:  The Clerk said that she took the CSDA 2 hour courtesy AB1234 training.  It is a bit boring compared to a live presentation where there is more interactivity.   This training is only available until early March.  Counsel said that she will provide an estimate to conduct the training; possibly before a regular meeting.
    b.  Saddleback sewer service charge billing:  A property who submitted payment called with concern that the check had not been negotiated.  He was told per the District's current contract with the SFPUC, they will be billing the owners going forward.  The Clerk wondered if it's time that the District notify the 27 previously manually billed owners about the change.  The President will follow-up with Crispin Hollings with regard to our December letter and the Clerk will return the owner's check.

Old Business:

  1. General discussion of Director and Contract Staff succession planning and consideration of special meeting
    It was decided that a Special Meeting will be held on February 19 at 7:00 P.M. for the sole purpose of discussion of succession planning and commemoration of the District's 90th anniversary.
  2. Community outreach 
    Continued


New Business:

  1. Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken

            None


Adjournment:

            A motion made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:51 P.M.  The next Regular Meeting is February 26, 2015 which will be preceded by a Special Meeting on February 19, 2015.

 

« back to Public Meetings