« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of December 17, 2014 @ 7:00 P.M.

Opening of Meeting

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi,  Tonna
Absent:            Swanbeck
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, Clerk Landi and District
Counsel Quint

Oral and Written Communications

(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

  1.  

    Communications from members of the public 
    None

  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    None
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    Correspondence was included in meeting packets and distributed before the meeting.  The President asked if any Director was planning to attend the SDLF Conference in January; none were.  There is also a CASA Conference in January.  A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed approving attendance of either Conference by one Director.

Consent Agenda:   

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of November 20, 2014
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 11/30/14 report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept November, 2014 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Rizzi  and passed approving consent items 4-7.

Board Reports

– consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher

    President Gallagher

    a. LAFCo:   We received a request from Harry Erlich, the consultant hired to conduct MSRs, for sewer service charge and capacity entitlement information.  The Engineer responded and advised Mr. Erlich where the information can be found on our website.  He also provided him information regarding the connection fee levied by San Francisco.

    Acknowledged receipt of a letter from Josh Cosgrove expressing his appreciation for the District's support of his candidacy as a Special District Commissioner; he was elected. 

    b.CSDA – Local Chapter:   The next meeting will be in February. 

    c.Redevelopment Oversight Board:   The President received notice that there will be meetings on January 26 and February 9, 2015.
  1. Daly City:  Director Rizzi told the Board that he has become aware that some residents have contacted Daly City with questions regarding sewer service.  This topic is one item that could be addressed in a newsletter.

    San Francisco announced that it is starting construction at the Schlage lock property.
    The President said that she has received phone and internet service from Astound for a number of years.  She was recently advised that the service will stop on December 31.  Apparently Astound was not involved in the undergrounding of utilities on Geneva. The pole serving her service is being removed.  She wonders if other residents have been affected by the undergrounding project.


  2. Brisbane:  No report.
 

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:   Pump #4 failed on November 21; it was the best running pump.  The motor wires burned and the pump assembly has a damaged the shaft.  This pump was renovated 4 years ago. The current problem is with the motor and pump assembly.  The pump was pulled and delivered to Pump Repair Service.  The estimated cost to repair is $10,000.

    The storm on December 3 caused an emergency alarm at 3:13 A.M.  The Carlyle Station pumped 1,075,000 gallons in 24 hours.  Conducted some field checks of manholes and found some areas that needed video inspection.

    On November 24 there was an overflow at Midway Village.  The manhole in the basketball court overflowed.  The obstruction was due to debris and heavy shop towels.  The line had been flushed 10 days prior to the incident.  The line will be rodded to remove grease deposits.  The overflow was reported to CIQW.
    During the December 11 storm the station pumped as much as 3,000 gallons per minute.  Undertook some field inspections with the District Engineer looking for sources of I/I.  The Station pumped 2,247,000 gallons in a 24 hour period.  Our average dry weather flow is 250,000 gallons per day.  All of Bayshore Highway and Industrial Road were flooded.  Water came up our driveway as far as the mailbox.  The Maintenance Director can't remember another time when we pumped 2,247,000 in a 24 hour period.

  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:


    a. November meter reading data:    The metered and computed flow is within 4,000 gallons.  Daily flow for November averaged 251,000 gallons.
    b. Entitlement Charges:   The 7 Mile House has submitted their first two payments.
    c. SFPUC water quality sampling:  The dry weather sampling was missing some data.  It was requested and received but the Engineer was not able to review prior to the meeting.  The sampler is in operation doing wet weather sampling.
    d. FY Procedures Manual:   This is the document the Engineer has been working on for all the tasks that are done at the end of the fiscal year.  It contains sample reports and letters.  A predecessor should be able to use that manual and files to be undertake the tasks.  He would like the Clerk to review the document and check for completeness.
    e. SSMP audit and recertification:  The SSMP needs to be updated and recertified.  We will discuss this item at the January meeting.
    f. Inflow/Infiltration (I/I) analysis:  The Engineer was stunned at the amount of I/I during the December 11 storm.  The 7 Mile House was flooded and the PG&E's yard was a lake.  It seems that there was water entering the manholes.  He suggests we insert liners in manholes along Bayshore Highway, Industrial Way and the intersection.  Also located an area along McDonald Avenue that had been repaved by Daly City.  The paving now directs storm water across to the District's manholes.  Liners should also be placed in those manholes.  We should do a visual inspection of manholes in low lying areas of the District that are subject to flooding and insert liners.  In response to a question Mr. Yeager said that when the liner/pan fills the flow will back out into the street.  This is o.k. because it is rain water not sewage.  Using liners is a relatively cheap fix.

    A number of lines on Alexis Circle were televised and several defects were found.   There was ground water entering a number of laterals.  That means the laterals are defective between the house and the main.  Found one manhole where water was entering at one of the joints where the pipe and the manhole connect.  There is also a broken pipe  allowing ground water to enter.  That clay line is relatively new.  Repair of this line will be added to the 2014-15 CIP.  The hillside is subject to movement and clay pipe is brittle.  The Engineer suggested that all the clay pipe in the area be televised to see if there are any others that should be added to the CIP.  Long term we need to have a program for CCTV on a regular basis.

    g. 2014-15 CIP:  The Engineer contacted a firm that he has worked with before.  He received a ballpark fee estimate for $20,000-$25,000.  This is high but there are some basic costs for preparation irrespective of the size of the project.  Adding in other spot repairs won't increase the costs that much.  The firm is interested but let Mr. Yeager know that they have secured a project in Brisbane.  The Engineer explained the history between the District and Brisbane to them.  He could look for someone else but it takes time and some firms aren't interested in small projects.

    The question was posed, when Brisbane does their master plan, will they include the Baylands?  Engineer Yeager said that when you do a master plan you include all the land, but how will they treat the Baylands?  If Brisbane has objections to the District using the same engineering firm, we will have to find another firm which could be difficult.

    h. Town Motel:  They have not removed the downspout and the Maintenance Director has had no success in contacting the owner.  The Engineer will follow up and notify the owner that if the situation is not resolved ASAP, he will be billed for water entering the District's system. 

    i. SFPUC Saddleback billing:   The Engineer spoke to George Mockridge and learned that the SFPUC has submitted 2 invoices to the HOA.  The HOA will not/cannot pay the invoices.   So this is now a matter for the HOA and SFPUC attorneys.  They are billing going forward not back billing. 

    j. SFPUC Annual Sewer Service Charge:  A letter was sent to Crispin Hollings explaining the District's position with regard to billing the 27 Saddleback owners.  We believe that all condominium owners should be treated the same.  The Clerk has received a number of calls from owners and one in particular expressed the inequity of 27 units being billed while 100+ others will not be billed for the same period.

    k.Kinder Morgan Brisbane tank farm:  They have started their treatment facility.  The Engineer visited the site when they did their start-up.  The last time they discharged was in 2007; they discharged on a daily basis.  They store some water on the site.  There is also water that comes in with the product.  It settles to the bottom and is stored and treated.  There may also be some wash down water used for maintenance--that would not go into the system.  Their intention is to discharge about 2,000,000; their permit is for 1,000,000 per year.  Kinder Morgan has submitted their application for renewal to the SFPUC.  The Engineer sent them a permit renewal application for the District.  He needs a better understanding of their facility to assure that water isn't metered twice.

  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:

    a. Consideration of amendment to Ordinance Code Section 301 regarding Replacement of lateral sewers after teardown or substantial remodel
    This item was continued from the November meeting.  Counsel provided 3 options for the Board's consideration.  If it is decided to use a % of square footage to trigger replacement of the lateral, we would need to work with Daly City.  There was discussion of the options, the purpose and need for such a code change, etc.  Counsel will not provide additional options and this matter will be discussed again at the January meeting.  The Engineer mentioned that in Daly City's Ordinance Code they give jurisdiction for the entire lateral to the District.

    b. Jurisdiction for building sewers:  Counsel is still working on trying to define the jurisdiction.  This item is continued to next meeting. 

  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
    The Clerk said she has found a source for a banner to be displayed commemorating the District's 90th anniversary next year.  Counsel said we should check with Brisbane to assure that we would not be violating a sign ordinance.

Old Business

  1. General discussion of Director and Contract Staff succession planning
    This item is being continued.  It was suggested that we schedule a special meeting devoted to this topic alone sooner rather than later.
  2.    Community outreach 
    Continued.
 

New Business

  1. 2015 meeting schedule
    The schedule is as follows:
    January 22                               July 23
    February 26                             August 27
    March 26                                September 24
    April 23                                   October 22
    May 28                                    November 19
    June 25                                    December 17
  2. Election of officers for 2015
    A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Tonna and passed to retain the same officers for 2015.
  3. Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken

                None

Adjournment:

   The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 P.M.  The next meeting is January 22, 2015.

« back to Public Meetings