« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District


Regular Meeting of October 23, 2014 @ 7:00 P.M.

Opening of Meeting

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi, District Engineer Yeager, Clerk Landi and District
Counsel Bakker

Oral and Written Communications

(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

  1. Communications from members of the public 
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    Correspondence was included in meeting packets and distributed before the meeting.

Consent Agenda:   

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of September 25, 2014
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 9/30/14 report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept September, 2014 checking account reconciliation

            A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed approving consent items 4-7.

Board Reports

– consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher

    1. LAFCo:   We have two items to address with regard to LAFCo.  One is the nomination of a Special District Commissioner and the other is to agree to a mail ballot.  Josh Cosgrove of North Coast Water was elected to fill an unexpired, vacated position.  President Gallagher recommended that we nominate him for a full term.  She will submit a letter on behalf of the District.

                The Municipal Service Reviews (MSR) have been done by Martha Poyatos over the last several years.  LAFCo has hired outside consultants to conduct the MSRs in the North County which includes the District.  It was suggested that LAFCo has fallen so far behind in the reviews that they need outside help.  In response to a comment by the Maintenance Director, President Gallagher said that Commissioners take an oath to represent everyone not just the segment of government they represent.  It was also opined that the MSRs are a waste of time and entity resources.
    b.  CSDA – Local Chapter:   We received notice that the next meeting will be October 28.  However, we have not had any further information.
    c. Redevelopment Oversight Board:   We received notification from the County Controller's office that the District will be receiving approximately $95,000 for the period January 1-June 30, 2015 from the successor agencies of the former Daly City and Brisbane RDAs.

  2. Daly City:  Director Swanbeck told the Board that there will be a meeting at the Boys & Girls Club on Saturday, November 1, to discuss the bi-county transportation study.
    Director Rizzi said he is being asked questions regarding development/redevelopment in the District.  People are interested in knowing if they include second kitchens, the number of residents, etc.  Plans reviewed by the Maintenance District did not include second kitchens.  Some of the questions are out of the realm of the District's scope of service and should be referred to the City of Daly City Building & Planning Department.
  3. Brisbane:  President Gallagher attended the last CAG meeting which was a celebration of the CAG, formed 9 years ago.  They discussed their role in bringing attention to the project and their accomplishments.


Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:   The Carlyle Station is operating properly.   The pumps are being repainted.  Pump #1 has been put back into operation.  It is still pumping less than the other 3 and will continue to be monitored.  It may need to be pulled in the spring or the next fiscal year.
    b. 7 Mile House:   The discharge manhole was inspected as well as the restaurants grease trap.  So far it appears more frequent cleaning of the grease trap is helping.
    c. 446 Oriente Street:  The owner reported having a problem a few weeks ago.  He called a plumber who televised his lateral and advised that there is a drop in the line in the street.  This property does not have an approved cleanout; it is behind the front property line.  The mainline was televised and no problem was found.  There could be a drop or a root problem in the lateral about 12-18" before it enters the District's main.  There are roots in all the joints. The Maintenance Director suggested to the owner that he have a plumber use a large cutter to rod the line.
    Again, during this reporting period, there are an abundance of USA notifications.  And again, most are in regard to replacement of gas lines.
    The utility undergrounding on Geneva Avenue has not yet been completed.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. September meter reading data:   The calculated and metered flow is very close.
    b. Entitlement Charges: This relates to the 7 Mile House.  They exceeded their entitlement and were invoiced for $6,055.56 which was payable by September 30th.  Since  there had been no response, the Engineer sent a 2nd invoice which included a 10% penalty.  Before leaving for vacation Mr. Yeager spoke to the property owner Ida Agustin.  She said she was going to discuss this with her tenant.  He said that the tenant left him a message which he didn't immediately retrieve, before he actually issued the second bill.  In which case, the penalty should probably be rescinded.  The tenant said that $6,055.56 is a lot and asked for a payment schedule.  The Engineer advised her that he would be bringing this matter to the Board.  Subsequent to that she wrote a letter and requested making twelve monthly payments starting November 15, 2014.
    It is really the property owner's responsibility and she should work out the details with the tenant.  If the entitlement charge becomes delinquent it could be placed on the FY 2015-16 property tax bill.  After considerable discussion a motion was made by Director Tonna allowing the 7 Mile House proprietor to make eight monthly payments between November 15, 2014 through June 15, 2015, the 10% penalty stands and 1.5% interest will be applied each month to the unpaid balance.  The motion was seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed unanimously by voice vote.
    The Engineer will draft a letter and will have Counsel review before sending.
    c. SFPUC annual sewer service charge:  The Engineer said that he thought all the details had been worked out for the SFPUC to begin billing the 27 Saddleback customers we had been billing manually for this year and going forward.  He advised them that the District would not do anymore billings and did not include the flow for those units in his annual report to the SFPUC.  The first draft billing from the SFPUC did not include that flow.  Within a week a revised billing was received that included the 27 units.  That started a flurry of emails back and forth.   Crispin Hollings provided this explanation -- despite good faith efforts the SFPUC was not able to develop a direct billing process for FY 2014-15.  He feels that the contract may have allowed for a delay in the switchover of the billing.  We will not be billed for the 27 units for FY 2015-16 and beyond.  This explanation didn't make sense to the Engineer so he posed a number of questions.  He asked if the condominium owners would be billed individually or through the HOA, has the SFPUC notified the 27 accounts of the change in billing, etc.  Crispin said they are billing the HOA, that the SFPUC and HOA have had significant communication regarding the billing change, that the SFPUC has notified the accounts about the new billing procedure.  Since the SFPUC was to have a billing system worked out by FY 2013-14, we could refuse to pay for those 27 units.  Counsel will review the contract to make sure the District is on sound ground to deny payment.  The SFPUC is not going to back bill the San Francisco units of Saddleback.  Directors Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi and Tonna agreed on this approach.  Director Swanbeck did not participate.
    d.  SFPUC water quality sampling:  The Engineer asked that the sampler be removed but it is still on the premises.  He will send another letter to the SFPUC.  To date there has more variability than expected in the results.
    e.  FY Procedures Manual:   No update.
    f.  Carlyle Pump Station and Emergency Response Plan:  The City of Brisbane has acknowledged that the 4'x4' box culvert on the west side of Bayshore is theirs.
    g. Inflow/Infiltration (I/I) analysis:  Engineer Yeager has reviewed all his historical records looking at the percentage of I/I over time.  There hasn't been a significant change in the percentage.  We have no good data for the approximate 10 years when the flow meter was malfunctioning.  On average the I/I has been about 15%.  This analysis doesn't provide definitive information.  This year the I/I is only 8%.  He will review flow monitoring results from about 10 years ago.  He doesn't believe the Brisbane  box culvert is tied into the sewer system but isn't sure about the retention facility.  We may need to conduct a video inspection on Main Street.
    h.  2014-15 CIP:   The Engineer and Maintenance Director need to meet to discuss replacement of the line in Midway Park.  It may have to be replaced where it is at the current depth.  Counsel has provided some front end specs that we can use as a template.  The District will need to hire a consultant to do the design work.
    i. Town Motel:  The Engineer wrote a letter to the property owner instructing them to disconnect a roof gutter that is connected to the District's system.  To date, they have not disconnected the down spout.  There may be others in the area that don't discharge onto the sidewalk or at the curb line.  This needs further investigation.
  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:           
    a. AB 1234 training
    We have received an email from CSDA indicating that with prompt payment of our 2015 dues, Directors may take advantage of their complimentary on-line AB 1234 training.   In January we will receive sign-in information.  Upon completion of the training and successful response to ten questions, a certificate will be issued.

Old Business

  1. General discussion of Director and Contract Staff succession planning

                President Gallagher explained that at the last meeting we began discussions and will continue at our next meeting.

  2. Community outreach  discussed above

            This item will also be continued to the November meeting.  We need to discuss how to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the District.

New Business

  1. Consideration of amending Ordinance Code Section 301 with regard to requiring the
    installation of a new lateral during reconstruction or major addition

                The Maintenance Director said that even if a 60 year old lateral is serviceable, is it appropriate for its continued use where a home is being demolished and replaced with a new structure.  We currently require a Class 4 permit which covers inspection of the existing lateral to make sure it is structurally sound for continued use.  After discussion, it was decided that  Counsel will draft language for a possible change to the Code.

  2. Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken



            A motion made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 9:08 P.M.  The next meeting is November 20, 2014.


« back to Public Meetings