« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of November 21, 2013 @ 7:00 P.M.

Opening of Meeting

The meeting was called to order at 7:07 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present:           Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent:            None
Also:                Maintenance Director Landi, District Counsel Bakker and  Lauren Quint, District Engineer Yeager and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications

(Concerning matters not on the Agenda; no action will be taken nor will extended discussion be permitted.)

  1. Communications from members of the public 
    None

  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    President Gallagher mentioned that CSDA is hosting an educational webinar regarding redevelopment oversight board.  The webinar is scheduled for December 11, 10 AM - Noon.  Since she represents the District on the Daly City RD Oversight Board, she will register for the session.

  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    We recently received notification from the City of Brisbane that the review and comment period for the Baylands DEIR has been extended to January 24, 2014.  The District also received information from Daly City regarding the utility undergrounding project in the Geneva Avenue corridor.

Consent Agenda:   

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda.  If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of October 24, 2013
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 10/31/13 report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept October, 2013 checking account reconciliation


    A motion was made by  Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck  and passed by voice vote approving the consent items which include payment by check numbers 585-598 and Director payroll.

Board Reports

– consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
    a. LAFCo:  There was a meeting yesterday; however, no one attended.  The Maintenance Director said that he knew of two items--consideration of a request from Granada Sanitary District to form a community service district and appointment of a budget committee.
    b. CSDA – Local Chapter:   The Chapter met on October 29.  President Gallagher attended and said that there is more information being shared among the various district representatives.
    c. Redevelopment Oversight Board:  No meetings.
  1.   Daly City:   Director Rizzi mentioned that the City was seeking volunteers to work in the library since they had significantly reduced employee hours.  However, apparently that is not allowed by the unions.  He added that the City may be further reducing staffing.  Director Rizzi also mentioned that there is planning for a shuttle service to begin in December.  It is his understanding that it will make approximately 5 stops; perhaps including S.S.F. Kaiser, Tanforan shopping center, Balboa Bart Station, etc.

    Director Swanbeck said she will be attending her first Geneva-Harney BRT Community Advisory Committee meeting in December.
  2. Brisbane:  There are public meetings being hosted by Universal Paragon to disseminate information about the Baylands development.

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director – consideration of matters relating to:
    a.Monthly report on District operations and maintenance:   Carlyle Station is operating properly.  No additional work was necessary and there were no service requests during the reporting period.  There was no rain in October; however,  there was a spike during the recent rain incident. 

  1. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    a. October meter reading data:    The calculated and measured flow was almost the same.  The average dry weather flow was 250,000 gpd.
    b. SFPUC Annual Sewer Service Charge: At the last meeting the President asked that the engineer prepare documentation on how he verifies the SFPUC billing calculations that can be followed in the future.  He provided the Board with a memo and all the backup documents.  Engineer Yeager is willing to meet with members of the Board to review in detail.
    c. Proposed 7 lot subdivision, El Rancho property:  When the market property was subdivided, it was going to be condos and 6 SFR units.  They have decided they want 7 units and we received a request for our comments.  From a wastewater standpoint all we can say is that there is no sewer hookup; they will have to connect.  They will also need to be advised that there will be an additional connection fee for San Francisco.  The Engineer will respond to the City.
    d. Carlyle Pump Station (CPS) water quality testing:  Last year testing was conducted for 2 months during both the wet and dry season.  The Engineer will check with the SFPUC to find out whether they plan to test during the wet season.  They may not need or want to do testing every year.   The Engineer said he has noticed that loading factors are down in dry weather.  The District could ask to use the same numbers or request that testing be done again.  Ultimately that is San Francisco's decision.  If testing is done again and the numbers are consistent, it wouldn't need to be done next year.   Engineer Yeager will propose to the City that we are comfortable with the numbers so we are agreeable to go with the prior testing numbers or for testing to be redone this year.
    e. Multiple properties on a single lateral:  At the last meeting we talked about multiple properties on single laterals.  This topic came under discussion back in 2002 and came to a partial resolution in 2005.  Since the last meeting, the Clerk researched the minutes and prepared a summary of Board/Staff discussions.  The Engineer reviewed his records and said that Resolution 2004-04 was adopted accepting the common sewer line serving 220, 224 and 230 Accacia Street.  We were able to secure agreement from all owners.  We now consider this line to be a main for which we are responsible.  The same condition exists at 244, 246 and 248 Rio Verde Street.  The District was not able to get consent from the owner at 244 so that issue is still unresolved.  The Engineer will check property records to determine if the property is under new ownership.
    f. Sewer Service Charge (SSC) questions from property owners:  Telephone inquiries are typical this time of the year.  One inquiry was from the 7 Mile House.  They wanted to know how much of the SSC was attributed to the restaurant and for  V&A.  The Engineer told the Board that we compute the charge based on water meters but the County bills on a per parcel basis.
  1. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:

    Lauren Quint will be joining us going forward and Counsel Bakker  will attend meetings when his schedule does not conflict.

  1. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:
    No report.

Old Business

None

  1. Succession Planning
    President Gallagher spoke to Brent Ives and gave him her thoughts on what we should consider when discussing succession planning.  He will prepare a proposal based on that discussion.

New Business:

  1. Reports on other matters:  no action will be taken
    The next meeting is December 19.  One item of business will be election of officers for 2014.  President Gallagher asked the Board to give that some thought.  She also mentioned that we will have a holiday celebration following the meeting.

Adjournment:

A motion was made by Director Rizzi, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 7:52 P.M.  The next regular meeting is December 19, 2013.

« back to Public Meetings