« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of March 27, 2008 (see the Agenda)

Opening of Meeting:

The meeting was called to order by President Gallagher at 7:01 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present: Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck, Tonna
Absent: None
Staff: Clerk Landi, District Counsel Bakker, District Engineer Yeager, and Maintenance Director Landi

Oral and Written Communications:

  1. Communications from members of the public
    None
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff

    President Gallagher received a telephone call from City Manager Pat Martell’s office advising her that Senator Yee is going to be on the forum on KQED tomorrow between 9-10 AM. The President told the Board that she sent a letter to the County Board of Supervisors letting them know that the District had passed a resolution supporting the Yee bill. There was brief discussion on recent reporting that the Cow Palace has or will soon be issuing an RFP to develop the parking lot area.

  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District

    Included in meeting packets and distributed this evening. In regard to the April CASA Conference, there is a Director’s meeting on Thursday; topic is future technology and future staff attraction policy for a sustainable organization. The President believes this is something that the Board should talk about in the future.

Consent Items:

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the consent agenda. If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of February 28, 2008
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 2/29/08 monthly report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept February, 2008 checking account statement reconciliation

    A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and unanimously passed by voice vote to approve the Consent Items which include payments by check numbers 4526-4542.

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
    1. LAFCO: The March meeting was cancelled. The next meeting is April 16th and will be held on the coastside. The draft municipal service reviews for the coastside have been issued.
      1. Elect Special District Selection Committee alternate: When the CSDA Chapter met, President Gallagher explained to the members that the Special District Selection Committee is a separate group from the CSDA Chapter. It’s made up of the presidents of the Boards. If the Board President cannot be at the Selection Committee meeting, in order for your Districts vote to be counted, there needs to be Board authorization with a letter sent to LAFCo indicating the name of the alternate member. Then that member can vote in place of the President. Director Swanbeck volunteered to serve as the alternate member if the President is unable to participate. A motion was made by Director Quinteros naming Director Swanbeck as the alternate for the District. The motion was seconded by Director Rizzi and passed by voice vote.
    2. CSDA: Meeting was held in March with good attendance. Spent time discussing the selection committee process, what has been going on at LAFCo and a Vice President was elected.
  2. City of Daly City: No report.
  3. City of Brisbane: The CAG met last week and seems to be on a more productive path. There was a presentation regarding the County’s hazardous materials program. Director Swanbeck is now a member of the CAG. The CAG has received a modest grant from the Rose Foundation.

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director -- consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance: The monthly report is self explanatory. There was no additional work or service requests during this reporting period. The suction valve replacement is tentatively scheduled for April 8th. It will take about 2 hours to install a valve. A test indicates that the station can be shut down for about 2½ hours in dry weather conditions. If it becomes necessary, A-1 Tank Service will be hired. A little more investigative work needs to be done in the wetwell before plugging it off. This is phase one of the valve replacement project.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. PG&E truck washing facility: The Engineer and Maintenance Director received calls from PG&E today. We want to inspect their facilities to make sure they have installed diversion berms that divert the rainwater away from the oil/water separator. Mr. Yeager spoke to Gary Forr who provided photos of the plastic berms. Various emails were exchanged this afternoon some of which contain erroneous information. Mr. Landi said he was advised by Margarite that the larger berms have not been installed. The Maintenance Director needs to inspect the berms and if necessary have PG&E run a test to insure that the berms satisfactorily divert the rainwater. The Engineer will send a letter to PG&E reiterating the District’s requirements; inspection of berms and test of their adequacy. We want the grit and oil intercepted before it enters the sewer.
    2. SFPUC – rebate calculations: The Engineer received a letter from Bill Laws requesting 1993 flow data. It will be provided and then Mr. Laws will make a recommendation on how the adjustment should be handled. The District received a letter from William Laws regarding past due payment of the 07-08 wastewater treatment fees. After discussion, Counsel advised and the Board agreed that two installments be made.
    3. SFPUC rehabilitation of existing 66” transmission: San Francisco needs to take out a Class 4 permit and pay the plan review fee. We have submitted the W-9 per their request and their fee should be received within a couple weeks.
    4. Geosyntec – Brisbane landfill: The ground water remediation system construction will start in April. We issued the permit assuming it’s a temporary discharge and did not levy a connection fee. However, if they need an extension it will no longer be considered a temporary permit and a connection fee will be required. They will pay an annual sewer service charge based on flow.
    5. 2007-2008 CIP: A summary table of the bids is in the Engineer’s monthly report. There were three bids: D’Arcy & Harty bid $158,500, Shaw Pipeline bid $132,000, and Trinet Construction bid $199,900. The project is over what was budgeted; however, some items were added after the budget process. The various repairs need to be done and are maintenance problems. The Engineer’s recommendation is to go with Shaw Pipeline—they have submitted all the necessary documentation. A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and unanimously passed by voice vote to accept the bid submitted by Shaw Pipeline. The signed contract will be sent to Shaw Pipeline for their signature and they will have to provide their payment and performance bond and insurance. Counsel will review the insurance. When all that has been done, we can issue a notice to proceed. The Maintenance Director requested a preconstruction meeting.
    6. Brisbane Baylands: Have not been able to make contact to arrange a meeting.
      With respect to the website, the Engineer has supplied the permit forms, a narrative for the application, District maps and the current standard specs.
    7. CEECON: The Clerk will send a letter about refund and tell them that soil piled on top of a District manhole needs to be removed before the refund is released.
      Discussed the construction going on at the PG&E substation and the unsightly impact it makes in the area.
  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Santa Fe Pacific Pipeline – sewer connection for tenant building (Brisbane Corporation Yard): Has not heard anything from SFPP. The permit expires July 1st.
    2. Tolling agreement with City & County of San Francisco regarding overcharges due to inaccurate metering at pump station: The city is working with us and when William Laws has all the information, he will make a recommendation regarding the District’s claim.
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Annual SSP report: The Clerk reported on a call from Michael Chee (3/20) advising that the 2007 sewer overflow report had not been submitted by the March 15th due date; it was compiled and submitted the same day. The Clerk is confused about the annual report vs. reporting the spills as they occur. Are there 2 separate agencies? There was discussion of the reports, accuracy of reports, printing reports, etc.

Old Business:

  1. Website Subcommittee report and/or presentation by Matt Jalbert, Sparklejet
    Some content has been uploaded and is viewable via a link provided by Matt Jalbert. It was viewed before and during the meeting. The link will be provided to the Board so they can review the content at their leisure.

New Business:

  1. Reduction in property tax revenue for water and wastewater enterprise districts
    There hasn’t been any more significant information to come out of Sacramento.
  2. CASA Spring Conference, April 23-26
    The conference is in Squaw Creek; no Director will attend.
  3. Reports on other matters: no action will be taken

Adjournment:

A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:23 P.M. The next meeting is April 24, 2008.

« back to Public Meetings