« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Regular Meeting of January 24, 2008 (see the Agenda)

Opening of Meeting:

The meeting was called to order by President Gallagher at 7:22 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present: Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Tonna
Absent: Swanbeck
Staff: District Counsel Bakker, District Engineer Yeager, Maintenance Director Landi and Clerk Landi

Oral and Written Communications:

  1. Communications from members of the public
    None
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    Engineer Yeager was contacted by the engineer representing the Velasco/Accacia project; they will be submitting plans soon.
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District

    Included in meeting packets and distributed this evening.

Consent Items:

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the consent agenda. If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)

  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 27, 2007
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 12/31/07 monthly report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept December, 2007 checking account statement reconciliation

    A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Rizzi and unanimously passed by voice vote to approve the Consent Items which include payments by check numbers 4496-4509.

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
    1. LAFCo: President Gallagher reviewed the status of the municipal reviews-12 complete, 14 in progress (south county, coast side & central county). North County, including the District remain to be done. Reviewed the process from data collection through issuing the final report with findings and recommendations. The January meeting was cancelled. Also President Gallagher, the Special District Alternate and the two Supervisor Commissioner positions all come up for election in May.
    2. CSDA: The 2008 meetings will be March 4, May 6, August 5 and October 28.
  2. City of Daly City: No update.
  3. City of Brisbane: The President attended the CAG meeting. Representatives from the EIR firm presented an overview of the procedure. A new CAG President was elected, Clara Johnson a former Brisbane council person. There is a link to the CAG on Brisbane’s website. In a conversation with Rich Burger, City of Daly City, he indicated that they really don’t think it’s necessary for their participation on the CAG—they have nothing to do with the toxic cleanup.

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director -- consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance: The monthly report is self explanatory. Some additional CIP field investigation was conducted. The lateral connection for 912 Schwerin Street was finally located. During the storm the flow was quite heavy. Surveyed a number of manholes but were unable to locate anything out of the ordinary. During the heavy storm only one alarm was activated; could be the result of the replaced gate valve. Valve replacement project is scheduled for late February.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. PG&E truck washing facility: There were some questions regarding San Francisco’s requirements. We have received a signed permit. The Maintenance Director needs to arrange to inspect the site.
    2. SFPUC – rebate calculations: The Engineer has talked to William Laws who advised this matter needs to go to senior management and possibly the Board of Supervisors. The data for dry weather is pretty conclusive in the difference between what the old meter recorded vs. the new meter. He has asked about meter readings during rainfall. That is harder to determine because there is not a lot of data. The new meter has been in for 2 winters and one was dry. He also asked why it took so long to be discovered. When we started experiencing what we thought was an increase in I/I, we did start investigating the collection system. The Maintenance Director said that we need to keep in mind that the old meter was over 30 years old and the technology has changed. Mr. Yeager needs to research more and check with an electrical engineer regarding meter failure. Looking at the gallons per day per connection, the old meter was fairly constant until 1998 and then it jumped up and was fairly constant. Once the new meter was installed, it dropped back down. Also, unlike the new meter, the old meter did not have a readout for the gallons per minute; that would help to insure accurate calibration. It is possible that the problem could have been somewhere between the sending unit and the flow chart recorder. There is no statute of limitations in our contract and it does allow for resolution of a metering problem.
    3. SFPUC rehabilitation of existing 66” transmission: Received a call from the SFPUC that they are going to upgrade their 66” water line. They are going to submit plans showing what they plan to do; not sure if it involves excavation. The break in our sewer is right above this line and is to be part of our 07-08 CIP.
    4. Geosyntec – Brisbane landfill: Construction anticipated to begin in April.
    5. 2007-08 CIP: The Engineer has submitted the contract documents to Daly City and requested an encroachment permit be issued to the District at no cost.
    6. Brisbane Baylands: The Engineer received a call from San Francisco. They are doing a 30 year master plan for their collection and treatment system. They wanted specific information regarding the Brisbane Baylands. The SF Engineer agreed that a joint agreement would be helpful. The EIR Engineer said we would have to contact Brisbane to arrange a meeting. A letter has been sent but as yet there has been no reply. San Francisco and the District would like some input during the planning stage.
  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Lateral inspection policy for properties changing ownership: Mr. Bakker distributed a staff report prepared for the Berkeley Council one year after their policy went into effect. It appears that compliance was good - about 87%. They have one person assigned to this project full time. An appropriate permit fee could be charged. It appeared that some laterals were replaced without an inspection. President Gallagher spoke to prominent realtor in the District and by the end of their discussion he was helpful in suggesting how this could be implemented. If the District adopted a policy, when a homeowner’s lateral is found to be in need of replacement, the District would have to televise the portion from the cleanout to the main. So it could have unknown cost to the District. Another possibility would be to require an inspection and the results disclosed to the purchaser. After lengthy discussion, there was consensus that this matter be tabled for possible discussion in the future.

      Also discussed the possibility of requiring installation of a new lateral when a home is demolished and a new structure built and for remodel/addition projects exceeding a certain % or dollar amount.
    2. Santa Fe Pacific Pipeline – sewer connection for tenant building (Brisbane Corporation Yard): Have had no response. The current permit expires July 1st.
    3. Tolling agreement with City & County of San Francisco regarding overcharges due to inaccurate metering at pump station: Everything has been worked out with San Francisco. They have been served but need not respond to the complaint.
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:
    No report.

Old Business:

  1. Website Subcommittee report
    We are meeting with the web designer tomorrow at 3 PM. Director Rizzi asked if it would be helpful to have a summary page on the site explaining when a permit is required and how to get it. It was also suggested that we ask Daly City and Brisbane to add a link to the District on their sites.
  2. Draft FY 06-07 audit
    President Gallagher found one discrepancy; the Clerk will check with the auditor. Otherwise our books tie in with the audit nicely. Contingent upon clearing up the $2,762 discrepancy, the draft accepted.

New Business:

  1. Reports on other matters: no action will be taken

Closed Session:

  1. Anticipated litigation: Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of §54956.9 (1 potential case)

    A Closed Session was not necessary.

Adjournment:

A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Rizzi and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:41 P.M. The next meeting is February 28th.

« back to Public Meetings