« back to Public Meetings

Bayshore Sanitary District

Minutes

Special Meeting of August 23, 2007

Opening of Meeting:

The meeting was called to order by President Gallagher at 7:01 P.M.

Roll Call:

Present: Gallagher, Quinteros, Rizzi, Swanbeck
Absent: Tonna
Staff: District Counsel Bakker, Clerk J. Landi, District Engineer Yeager and Maintenance Director Landi

Oral and Written Communications:

  1. Communications from members of the public: None
  2. Communications from members of the District Board and Staff
    1. The Clerk reported that the District’s audit began on August 21st.
  3. Acknowledgment of recent correspondence to the District
    1. No new correspondence was received after distribution of the meeting packets.

Consent Items

(Any member of the Board or the public can request that an item be removed from the consent agenda. If there are no objections all items are voted upon by one motion.)
  1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting of July 26, 2007
  2. Payment authorization for bills and compensation
  3. Accept 7/31/07 monthly report on District’s current financial status
  4. Accept July, 2007 checking account statement reconciliation

A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Quinteros and unanimously passed to approve the Consent Items which include payments by check numbers 4400-4415.

Board Reports – consideration of matters relating to:

  1. President Gallagher
    1. LAFCo: The meeting was on August 15th and municipal reviews for the Menlo Park Fire and Woodside Fire Protection Districts were considered. The Executive Officer recommended a sphere of consolidation; subsequently changed to recommended consolidation. The September municipal reviews will be the Town of Atherton, the Atherton Drainage District, the Towns of Woodside and Portola Valley.
    2. CSDA: The August 7th was cancelled.
  2. Director Rizzi, CASA Conference: Director Rizzi reviewed some of the sessions and presentations. Highlights—AB803 regarding advanced notice of overtime has been sent to Committee; discussion of the CASA dues rate structure gave rise to some complaints; measure regarding term limits, etc. The Clerk suggested that in regard to the dues issue, why not suggest to CASA that the annual dues be based on the prior years final budget. Director Rizzi said he will do some research into the content of websites for sanitary districts.
  3. City of Daly City: Directors Gallagher, Quinteros and Rizzi are planning to attend the Bayshore Community Transit meeting on August 29th at 6 P.M.
  4. City of Brisbane: President Gallagher attended the 8/14 CAG meeting. Prior to the meeting she was provided with a 150 page email document from Kinder Morgan. At the CAG meeting Randy Breault, Brisbane PW Director, summarized the report. The essence of the report is that Kinder Morgan is not going to do anything.

Staff Reports:

  1. Maintenance Director -- consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Monthly report on District operations and maintenance: The monthly report is self explanatory and was distributed prior to the meeting. Some additional inspection work was performed. The SSMP recommends televising mains after a stoppage to determine the cause. The video inspection performed following the stoppage at 186 Rio Verde indicates there are heavy roots coming out of two abandoned laterals. Mr. Landi suggested that these abandoned laterals be scheduled for a spot repair during this years CIP. The check valves and suction valves have been ordered; delivery is 4-6 weeks. Seven fiberglass manhole liners have been ordered.
  2. District Engineer – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. USPS damaged sewer: Counsel sent a letter today giving 30 days to make the repair or it will be done during our CIP and placed on the 08-09 tax rolls. Mr. Bakker sent the letter to 4 different addresses found for the property owner.
    2. PG&E truck washing facility: The C&C of San Francisco has not determined if an industrial discharge permit is required.
    3. PG&E existing groundwater discharge permit: The San Francisco permit has been received. A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Quinteros and passed by voice vote authorizing the President to sign the permit.
    4. SFPUC: Engineer Yeager met with Bill Laws, Rate Administrator for the SFPUC. Mr. Laws is familiar with the District and is very much aware of all the issues. They discussed the history and testing that has been done relative to the flow meter. Mr. Laws seemed comfortable with the testing procedures that have been done to validate the accuracy. Mr. Laws said that the District will need complete documentation if we wish to go back more than 2 years. Mr. Laws mentioned that the District might want to discuss whether they are looking for a cash refund or future credits. Counsel Bakker does not believe there is a statute of limitations. The spike in recorded flow began in FY 96-97 and then went down about 20% after the new meter was installed. Counsel advised the Board that the negotiations may go past the 6 month time limit; a tolling agreement to extend time can be filed. There was consensus of the Board that the District would be willing to accept future credit to resolve this overreporting.
    5. 2007-2008 Capacity Entitlement Fees: The Daly City Redevelopment Agency advised that there was a toilet malfunction at the old library in February-March, 2007 which was repaired. The water meter readings since that repair was made have dropped back down to the average 4 units per month. A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Rizzi and unanimously passed that no additional capacity will be billed.
    6. Lateral inspection policy at time of property transfer (see 14a)
    7. El Rancho property development: Mr. O’Sullivan submitted plumbing plans—we need civil site plans. The resubmittal is still inadequate; not enough information to convince Mr. Yeager that they can connect to the sewer. These plans indicate 2 connections to the 21” line. The Maintenance Director said that during TV inspection it was noted that there are 3 connections—one may be a storm connection. The project engineer has indicated that the connections will be cut and capped. Mr. Yeager advised the contractor that the District will require separate meters for the commercial units; a common meter for the condominiums is o.k. Mr. O’Sullivan indicated that water usage formula may be based upon the number of bedrooms. He was advised to submit a proposal to the District if it is his intent that the sewer service charge be handled in the same manner.

      The connection fee for this project is $214,000.00. The City of Daly City is holding the funds for permit fees in an escrow account and they (Terry Sedik) prefer that the District bill the City. Mr. O’Sullivan will be provided with an invoice which will be processed by Daly City.

      A motion was made by Director Swanbeck, seconded by Director Quinteros and passed by voice vote to approve issuance of a permit pending either receipt of the connection fees or a letter of promise from Daly City, that we receive an approved set of plans showing the connections and an approved set of plans showing the 3 commercial units.
  3. District Counsel – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Lateral inspection policy for properties changing ownership: Counsel distributed a policy including a sample report prepared for Ross Valley Sanitation District. When a property is sold, the owner would be required to obtain a lateral inspection and then to secure a certificate of compliance from the District. Most policies require the inspection upon a non-probate sale. If the Board is interested, staff can check with districts with a policy to find out how much is involved in regard to enforcement. Other issues: would the District perform the inspection, what kind of inspection, term of a certificate, penalties, exemption of new properties, educating the public and realtors, etc. There could be some unforeseen financial cost and consequences to the District. Staff will contact Stege Sanitary regarding their experience and Truckee and Castro Valley. The Board would like more information before further consideration.
    2. Midway Village easement: The revised easement has been received and is satisfactory. A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and unanimously passed by voice vote to accept the easement and to authorize President Gallagher to execute the document upon receipt of outstanding fees.
  4. District Clerk – consideration of matters relating to:
    1. Website information: The Clerk has no update. Director Swanbeck has a colleague at UC who is currently redesigning their website. He has indicated that he is interested in doing private work. Most of the sanitary district sites reviewed have the same basic content; it’s the presentation that distinguishes one from another. President Gallagher indicated she has a source for design of a logo for new stationery. This person has indicated that her fee would be approximately $800.00 for that service. Counsel also has a source who does web design. Director Rizzi said that he has graphic arts experience and would be willing to donate his services.
    2. 802 Red Leaf delinquent sewer service charges: The property owner has not paid the 1st or 2nd installment of the 06-07 sewer service charges. Billings, including penalties and late charges, have been sent to the owner periodically. The Clerk asked if the District could place a lien on the property. After discussion, it was decided that this item needs more research and was continued to the September meeting.

Old Business:

  1. Municipal Review: Continued.
  2. SSMP

    The next components are due August 31st. They are Legal Authority, Design & Construction Standards and Measures & Activities. Measures & Activities have 4 elements yet to be completed. The Engineer will coordinate with the Maintenance Director. We need to complete and submit the certification document.

New Business:

  1. Election for CSDA
    After discussion, the Board authorized the President to vote on behalf of the District.

  2. Samtrans/Bayshore Transit Plan – see item 10.

  3. Reports on other matters: no action will be taken

Adjournment:

A motion was made by Director Quinteros, seconded by Director Swanbeck and passed to adjourn the meeting at 9:04 P.M.

« back to Public Meetings